Is Youtube blocking videos from us?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gerabaldi, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Gerabaldi macrumors newbie

So in the car today, my daughter asked me to play Justin Bieber. Since that's really not my type of music, and I don't have any of his songs on my phone, I figured I would try and pull him up in Youtube. I found it strange however that when I tried to pull him up in Youtube, all I found were some poor quality live performances, and some crummy fan made videos. I didn't think much of it, I figured maybe his record label is particularly aggressive at taking down his stuff from Youtube like Prince is.

So for kicks I tried looking it up tonight on my computer, and lo and behold I find legitimate copies of all his material on Youtube, one his own account nonetheless. None of this stuff however seems to come up when I search for it on my iPhone, and if I am able to pull up a direct link to something through a Google search, Youtube immediately tells me it can't be played.

So, is Youtube now blocking iPhone users from locating certain videos and playing them on their phone? Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe they're just sparing me from having to listen to Justin Bieber with my daughter, but it wouldn't surprised either if they are / start blocking more music related videos from the Youtube app. It does seems pointless sometimes to purchase songs when you can just pull nearly everything up on Youtube.

2. CarloVonSexron macrumors member

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

I believe so. Seems to be the copyrighted videos, like the Vevo music videos for example.

4. thelordnyax macrumors regular

Indeed, if you search for the video on the iphone using google or the youtube website, you'll probably find the video and it'll say "not available on mobile"

most common for music videos...i've seen it for a few others

not sure why...but it kinda sucks

5. Jhenet macrumors newbie

Jhenet

Youtube

Yea. They've been filtering since the iPhone 3G came out. No good videos on iPhone YouTube. Whats the point of it if we cant see what we want?

6. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Yes, I think it's Apple that filters these so you have to buy the songs on iTunes.

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

YouTube lets content partners choose if their material is made available to mobile phones under the uploading settings. I'd imagine very few do.

Stuff on 'YouTube shows' will also always be missing as Youtube signed deals with all the studios agreeing these would only be sent using RTMPE, which is a Flash only protocol.

Phazer

8. m1stake macrumors 68000

Use Pandora! Good sound quality, and it's free. Works on AT&T and WiFi.