Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
My point (that I was trying to make) was that people that don't know about the limitations of 16 GB iPhones probably are NOT going to know about this product.
And my point is that I think you're assuming way too much about what motivates people to select a product. You are assuming that people who select the 16GB model are doing so because they don't know any better and therefore won't know about any other iPhone products. I think people make decisions for a wide variety of different reasons and I would never make a blanket assumption that they are all doing so out of ignorance or stupidity.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
And my point is that I think you're assuming way too much about what motivates people to select a product. You are assuming that people who select the 16GB model are doing so because they don't know any better and therefore won't know about any other iPhone products. I think people make decisions for a wide variety of different reasons and I would never make a blanket assumption that they are all doing so out of ignorance or stupidity.

My statement is only about the (subgroup of) people who don't know any better and (accidentally) choose the limited 16GB model are less likely to know about this type of product.

ALL THE OTHER people who intentionally choose the 16GB and who and choose it on purpose and a whole different group (I'm not talking about them). You seem to be putting all the 16GB owners in one group and applying what I said to all of them.

Gary

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I did mention browser didn't I, you can even upload and download from any web browser
Not the solution. Again, internet is not available everywhere, everytime and for large data this can be very slow and make you reach your data cap. Also it's harder than a simple usb drive.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Not the solution. Again, internet is not available everywhere, everytime and for large data this can be very slow and make you reach your data cap. Also it's harder than a simple usb drive.

I didn't think I needed to go into detail but here is how the browser works with Photosync. If you need to send files to or from a PC, just connect to the wifi of that person's house, as long as they are on the same LAN, the Photosync app will create a temporary webserver and host a local website with all your photos and videos. The website address is usually just a LAN IP with a different port, just type that number into any browser in your home network and you go straight in. You are also on wifi speed so its really fast, faster than USB2 in fact if you have 802.11AC. You can browse it like dropbox, download the ones you want or drop new files in. The files save straight into the phone, you don't need to open the usb app and copy the file over.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I didn't think I needed to go into detail but here is how the browser works with Photosync. If you need to send files to or from a PC, just connect to the wifi of that person's house, as long as they are on the same LAN, the Photosync app will create a temporary webserver and host a local website with all your photos and videos. The website address is usually just a LAN IP with a different port, just type that number into any browser in your home network and you go straight in. You are also on wifi speed so its really fast, faster than USB2 in fact if you have 802.11AC. You can browse it like dropbox, download the ones you want or drop new files in. The files save straight into the phone, you don't need to open the usb app and copy the file over.
I really appreciate your advice and I already have used the method you described. But I think you are missing my point... :-(

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
I really appreciate your advice and I already have used the method you described. But I think you are missing my point... :-(

I don't think you have if you were thinking it uses the internet or any data. it does not. Just curious if you have any experience with localhost webservers. It's not actually ON the web.

Please state you point, this USB drive is expensive and doesn't provide anything more than existing products on the market which cost less. If you refer back to my original I mention wireless harddrives if you want to bring lots of movies, its 2TB for the same price as this 64GB. In fact I use the Photosync app and the Western Digital wireless hard drive for my holiday back ups. My phone can wirelessly back up all holiday photos each evening to the HDD. For small file transfers, wifi from the source machine is way more stream lined.

plug in usb to source machine, copypaste to usb drive, eject, plug into phone, open app, go to files, copy files to phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.