iSight camera and mid-2012 cMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pkupman57, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Pkupman57 macrumors regular

So, I recently picked up an original iSight camera (the barrel shaped one). Its got a FW400 cable on it, but I picked up a 400-800 adapter. I tried plugging it into my mid-2012 cMBP, but it does not work (I use my computer in clamshell mode with an external monitor and keyboard and mouse). I would like to get this working, has anyone ever managed to make it happen?

I checked the camera on my G5 system, and it works perfectly on it via FW400. With the FW800 adapter, I can get the little green light to come on for a second, and can hear it focus, but thats all that it will do with my newer MBP.

Thanks for any help.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

3. Pkupman57 thread starter macrumors regular

Yosemite. But I couldn't get it to work with Mavericks either.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I believe support for the camera was dropped in 10.9. You maybe able to readd the necessary kexts to get it working again IIRC.

5. thedeske, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

thedeske macrumors 6502a

Working fine here with a late 2012 mac mini. Used it in Mavs and now Yosemite. No issues - 400 to 800 adapter on mine as well.
    Use it for screen share audio, but the camera works if you launch face time or photo booth.

Remember to choose it in sound preferences.
    Try opening photo booth to test

You might plug it back into the G5 and check the firmware rev in sys info under firewire. Mine is 1.0.3
    It might be possible to DL the 1.0.3 updater from an old system if it's on the net. I think it works with sys 10.3 to 10.6