iSight Camera + MSN = No Go?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 23027, Jun 21, 2007.

1. 23027 macrumors member

Hey i'm a long time PC user who's making a switch in a couple of weeks or so, and I was wondering.. I heard that the iSight camera does not work with MSN Messenger/Windows Live messenger at all. Is this true? If so.. Why, and why has there not been an update to fix this problem which I can remember goes back a looooong time.. I don't know anything about os X but I think there's a messenger program that works to use as MSN or something? Kind of like the Windows Live Messenger, but for os X? Shouldn't the iSight work with that..?

Thanks in advance

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I'm not sure what you mean as you posted this in "Windows", meaning Boot Camp or Parallels/VMware, but I'm assuming you mean OS X.

Anyhoo I'll just answer really fast.

1) To use msn on OS X with video, go with aMsn or Mercury Messenger. Both are ok, but use Adium for text.

2) Boot Camp/Parallels/VMware all work fine with Windows Live Messenger and the iSight.

3. 23027 thread starter macrumors member

Well yeah, I meant using in windows.. Shoot, I forgot to mention; I meant the built in iSight camera and not the one you purchase.. If that makes any difference..

A bit off topic.. But I didn't know there were so many different kinds of Messengers for OS X? What's one that's somewhat similar to Windows Live Messenger, with a DP and being able to draw/sketch pictures in conversations, and use webcam as well as transfer files with sharing folders?

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Yeah in Windows it all works fine. (I was referring to the in-built anyway as not many people have the external one anymore)

For Mac, I recommend using Mercury if you need to use video and Adium for text. That's the best way. In Adium you can't send custom emoticons (but can receive) and it's pretty basic, but very very nice.

5. 23027 thread starter macrumors member

Are Mercury and Adium two different programs..?

Is there not one that does it all.. Like windows messenger?

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Yes they're different. There's no Mac conversion of Windows Live Messenger that has all the features.

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Mercury and aMsn are about as close as you're going to get. You get pretty much everything apart from the Sharing Folders, and the ability to have sound and video at the same time I believe.

8. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

You could always just use skype for video calls.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

iChat doesn't support the MSN protocol. Although you can use it through Jabber you only get text support.

10. RenegadeZero macrumors newbie

Hi, whilst I'm here, could anyone recommend a client that's compatible with the Yahoo protocol and has web cam support? Thanks!

-Edit: Heh, didn't know there was an official client. It's fine now! :)