iSight Camera not recognized???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by youssefm, Nov 22, 2008.

1. youssefm macrumors 6502

Hi, i bought a new alum. macbook about 3 weeks ago and so far i love it, but suddenly my isight camera isn't recognized in anything, and it doesn't light up? What could be wrong?

I tried in ichat and in photobooth

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Does it appear in system profiler (in utilities) under any of the USB headings?
    If not, its probably a faulty unit I'm afraid to say!

[​IMG]

3. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

grrrrrr its not under it >=O

im gonna go to the apple store

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

5. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Hi, try resetting your Mac's system management controller. The equivalent procedure for my iMac G5 worked the last time my iSight stopped working.
    Follow instructions at Apples support site: search there for article HT1411.

Hope it works!

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Just hold down command-option-p-r on startup to reset the system management controller.

7. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

Suddenly it just started working by itself, and my superdrive wasn't working either, and suddenly it just started working by itself also.. weird

8. netddos macrumors regular

this happened to me too...very weird eh?

9. Storm Shadow macrumors regular

i had this problem afer installing bootcamp and parallels and was really worried.

If you shut down your macbook and remove the battery. Then hold down the power button for 5 seconds. This resets something on the board. Put the battery back in and start it up and it'll be working again.

10. MLDMB41 macrumors newbie

Mine did this to me the other night when I tried to log into iChat. I then clicked into Photobooth, it hesitated a second, and then bam! Everything was fine. Very strange.

11. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't download anything actually.. i was just on iChat, and it wasn't working, then while trying to back everything up after making a genius bar appointment the superdrive didnt work.. then suddenly out of nowhere it worked.. weird weird stuff :apple:

12. Storm Shadow macrumors regular

Very strange. I would still suggest doing the NAND reset procedure that I described above as this can usually cure a lot of niggles like this. It doesnt affect your system in any visible way so dont worry - it just resets something on the board

Its a procedure thats on the apple website for troubleshooting isight.

13. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

That's actually the procedure to reset the PRAM and NVRAM which can sometimes fix other niggles like Storm Shadow mentioned. It's described in Apple support article HT1379.

To reset the SMC (system management controller), you need to do the procedure that I gave the first article for (HT1411) and that Storm Shadow also described. This has fixed the iSight issue for me in the past when the PRAM reset has not.

Sorry i didn't give a click-able link to the support article before, but i was on the bus using my iPhone (now where's that copy & paste?!)

14. fishniw macrumors regular

ha, weird. I'm also on week 3 of having my alu 'book and the camera just decided today not to work. I checked under the system profiler and sure enough it is no longer listed.

15. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

Weird thing... its happens randomly, but it hasn't happened since.. if it happens again apple will find me at the genius bar

16. lmd29 macrumors newbie

similiar problem

I just got a macbook in janurary and haven't had a problem until recently.
    My isight is not being recongized by ichat. photobooth is working fine. I have tried everything I could think of to see what the problem is. The problem seems to be user specific. My guest account works fine. The only thing that temporarily solved the problem was by going to user<myname<library<prefences<and deleting com.apple.ichat. This worked last night and for a minute this morning but after an hour or so the problem reoccured. I have tried taking the batter out and doing a reset. I have done option command p and r on start up. Nothing works!!!

Does anyone know anything else i could try?? or should i just head over to the mac store??