iSight Camera

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kolax, Mar 7, 2012.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Why is Apple marketing the iPad camera as an iSight camera? They changed all the Mac ones from iSight to FaceTime. I don't see the point in them calling the camera designed for shooting photos "iSight".

2. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

This confuses me as well it was a very quiet change from iSight to Facetime and now we are going back?

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Maybe iSight is for the back and FaceTime is for the front?

4. samac92 macrumors 6502a

Yeah bizarre, why would they rename iSight to FaceTime, then call the back camera which does not need a name iSight?

5. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

So the iPhone back facing camera will be called an iSight too?

Maybe they are trying to market the camera was something significant over other devices, and couldn't coin up anything other than iSight, since they already have the trademark.

6. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

They explained it in the keynote, something about when they put in the effort and use their special lens and stuff it gets upgraded to "iSight"

7. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Thats what i say. isight camera will now refer to all rear cameras(with those lenses) on the iOS devices while facetime will continue to be the front facing camera on all thier devices. Seems pretty obvious to me.

could be wrong

8. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Agreed. This is puzzling why Apple chose to market it this way. When I think iSight, I think video conferencing. Unless you're just broadcasting what you're seeing (and not you) to the person on the other end, FaceTime on iPad is still done with the VGA camera on the front.

9. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Agreed. All the rear-facing cameras on iOS devices will now be called iSight. I was also surprised to see the name iSight pop back up after being ousted from the Mac. I assume this is just for marketing. No one else can say their tablets and phones have an iSight camera.

10. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I know - but given that iSight was originally Apple's marketing term for their webcams, seems strange to suddenly use it to describe "high-end" cameras in portable devices.