iSight camera

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Fonzijr1964, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Hey does anybody know if they still make the external iSight. If no does anyone know where i can get one. I am considering a mac pro but i want an iSight. I have heard when they update the cinema displays they may put in an iSight has anyone heard anything about that.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

eBay is the only place I know that is selling them, As for the new monitors we are still waiting on an update.

3. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

thanks i thought as much. Oh i don't think there will be a 12in macBook Pro

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

yeah but you never know.....

5. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

I'd love to know why Apple stopped making them.

6. Nordichund macrumors 6502

They stopped because they were built using a substance which is environmentally unfriendly and which the European Union had banned.

I guess since all Mac laptops and iMacs come with built in iSights there's not much of a profitable market for Apple to produce a new one.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I've never understood that. If the EU bans a substance in one of your products, stop selling that product in EU country stores. Keep selling it in the land of the free.

If they want to break their own laws by coming over here and buying one, that's their problem.

It'd be the same* as Apple saying, "Well, since there are already iPhones in countries where we're not selling them, we'll just not officially sell them there at all."

Or, in other words, one bad continental conglomeration spoils the whole bunch.

*It's not the same situation, but it's a similar mindframe.

8. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Yeah seriously, we need them over here. And while they're at it, make them a tad bit more affordable ;)

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I am surprised a 3rd party vendor doesn't jump on it. At least have it support both Windows and Macs and support HD and look nice.

10. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

What were they made of?

11. MaciPilot macrumors newbie

3rd Party iSight

One does exist. It is the aGent V3. It has a 1280 x 960 VGA sensor, and it's Mac and PC compatible. It also has Mac software and works with PhotoBooth. The link is on MacRumors http://agent.liquiddigital.com.au/index.htm . It's made in China and shipped from Australia. Sells for $140. The aGent V3 looks like a Chrome version of the old external iSight.

12. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Looks quite elegant, not sure I like the chrome though.

13. Nordichund macrumors 6502

I think it contained too much lead :D

http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/9969/

What gets me is how much people are paying for 2nd hand, out of date iSights, which if they hadn't been discontinued would be probably selling for about 20 dollars these days.

One reseller on Amazon.co.uk is asking over 1100 dollars, yes one thousand one hundred dollars for an iSight or 561 pounds sterling.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iSigh...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1206620180&sr=8-4

Obviously any person who would pay such a stupid price for that camera also buys RAM from Apple. Mind you I do think the seller is being a bit over optimistic. :rolleyes: