iSight dead pixels

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marcre, Mar 28, 2009.

1. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

is there any way to repair dead pixels on an iSight camera? I've got one of the original iSights and this is what it looks like when I recently plugged it in. Just curious because I'm trying to sell it. See picture...

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If they are in fact dead, then no. You cannot repair pixels on the sensor.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Those aren't dead pixels. You CAN'T have dead pixels on a camera. Cameras don't have "pixels". The correct term is light noise. It's caused by not having proper lighting.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can have a sensor that has dead pixels, and those two do look like they might be dead.

OP, take a picture with it in darkness, you should still see those two pixels if they are in fact dead.

5. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

ok, is there anything I can do about it?

The reason I ask is, I just sold it tonight to a guy on craigslist for $80. He tested it out in the parking lot we met in and it looked good to me and him. He just called and sent me this email with the picture. I never noticed it ever before. He wants to return it and get his money back. All the other people that were interested in it I have told it was sold, so I don't want to have to try again and tell people that he wanted his money back, but also, I'd rather it worked too.

6. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

I don't have the iSight anymore, I emailed the guy and asked him to do that though.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Sounds like the transaction was fair...besides everything on CL is sold "as is". I say tough luck to him...this camera is a few years old anyways, can't expect perfection.

8. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

yea, I hear you and I know I'm perfectly within my right to not help him out. But, it is my nature to "do the right thing". Even though a refund isn't the right thing to do. To be honest, it isn't bad at all. The one is off to the side and the other is on top. I'm sure if he wasn't in an orange room, it would look a lot better.

9. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

10. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

I was thinking that too. But, I'm just mad about it.

11. kolax macrumors G3

I'd think if there was a problem with the pixel sensors in the iSight, then you'd be seeing a lot more than just that.

I'd say it might be photoshopped and the guy realised he doesn't want it and is trying to get a refund.

12. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

Good point, but I don't think he has photoshop skills. He is new to everything.

13. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

First step to scamming... sound convincing. :eek:

14. KelchM macrumors regular

Its probably normal.

No sensor is perfect... It is normal for some to be more noisy than others. This becomes very noticeable in low light.

On a digital camera these 'hot pixels' are sometimes removed automatically in the processing the camera does.

15. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

yea, good point. Maybe he is scamming. I should have no problem selling it to someone else. Hopefully there is no issue with it.

16. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

another good point, he probably needs more light in the room and the orange walls may not help either.

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Ask him to turn on some lamps and take a picture. Or maybe meet in a coffee shop and do it there (with a notebook of course).

18. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

Well, I just went back and got it from him. I plug it into my computer and there are no spots. It is clear as day. I guess those that were saying he scammed because of second thoughts were right. There isn't even a hint of spots.

Good news is, I have another buyer that offered $100. So, it looks like it will work out in the end. I just need him to come through.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Glad everything worked out for you! ;)

20. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

thanks, I still need to actually sell it, we were supposed to meet today, but he said he can't make it. Hopefully tomorrow.

21. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

Just a quick update, sold it yesterday for $100. All worked out for the better anyway. Still, was very frustrating.