iSight - Firewire/USB Hub?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BEEFc58, Mar 1, 2010.

1. BEEFc58 macrumors member

I know that this posting is 4 years to late now, however I had an iSight question (the external one).

I was looking to use a external iSight with an external monitor setup. Currently it works as my macbook has a firewire port. However, if I switch to a notebook (ie Macbook Air) without a firewire port, is there anyway plug my iSight in using just a USB port? Is there a Firewire/USB hub out there that will allow me to plug in the iSight with only a USB connection? From doing research, there does not seem to be a solution.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best,

BEEF

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

To answer your question: No, that wont work.

But just some words: Your macbook and macbook air both have built in isights, the external one isnt of any better quality. Also, there are tons on external USB based webcams that are much cheaper and MUCH better quality than the isight.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If your new computer doesn't have firewire, you won't be able to use that iSight with it. But your new Mac laptop had built-in iSight.

4. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Yeah, but do they work with Macs anywhere near as simply as the iSight camera does? I have found the macam program but that's still totally unreliable and a pain, at least in my opinion. Even the most common brands of webcams haven't worked for me.

To answer the original poster's question, I have found that the iSight doesn't even work when plugged in to a firewire hub, much less a USB/firewire hub... not sure exactly how you would make this work. I did see a USB to mini-firewire dongle on ebay... I wonder if that dongle, used with a mini-firewire to FW400 dongle, would work...

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have also never managed to find a third party webcam that works as well on Macs than the iSights.

I have my Firewire iSight plugged in to a Firewire hub and it works flawlessly.

6. BEEFc58 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

pastrychef - is your Firewire hub only for firewire? Or is it a mix (Firewire/USB)? If it is a mix, do you only plug USB into your computer? If so... which hub is it?

I am sure that it works if you have a firewire hub and it is plugged into your comp via firewire. Even if it is a mixed hub and you are plugged in with both firewire and USB I am sure that it works. I just don't think that it will work having Firewire plugged into the hub and have USB coming out of it plugged into your computer....

7. mable macrumors newbie

mac isight for a powermac g4

hello all
    Does anyone have any ideas where I can get my hands on an isight camera for an old power mac g4 (450mhz) - firewire/usb 1 only please

I have 10.4.11

I also need a microphone
    thanks for any help - uk suppliers only please

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This might have been better in a new thread. But the only place where you can find a iSight is on eBay. They have a fairly nice built-in microphone.