iSight freezes after a few seconds

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tommybo, Aug 22, 2009.

1. tommybo macrumors newbie

Okay so I am a total newbie to MAC's and made the plunge and got a MacBook Pro 15 inch with built in camera...

I am trying to run Skype or iChat and the video in preview mode freezes after it initially starts in both programs. I tried to reboot but the same result is happening...

Anything anybody knows of to help?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

1) Have you updated to 10.5.8?
    2) Try using Photo Booth, see if it encounters any lag/hanging when it accesses the iSight camera.
    3) Before using iChat/Skype for the first time, did you install any QuickTime plugins? Check in /Library/QuickTime and ~/Library/QuickTime if it exists for anything other than the AppleIntermediateCodec.component and AppleMPEG2Codec.component files. Anything else, pull out to the Desktop for the time being, restart the computer and re-test. If iChat and Skype behave as expected it was probably one or more of the extra plugins you removed.

3. tommybo thread starter macrumors newbie

1. I just got the CPU and it came with 10.5.8.

2. Launch photo booth...it works for about 4 seconds and then freezes. I close it and restart and it does not have any image and camera does not turn on.

3. I dont even see a /Library/QuickTime folder. I havent installed any plugins, just updated the software when I got the CPU.