iSight image fades...by itself!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Halcyon, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Ever since I updated my 17" iMac from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11 my iSight has been rendered useless. Before the update everything was working just fine, now when I run iBooth (for example) it opens fine, shows whatever is in front of the camera and then the image fades into pitch black. I also have Evocam installed and the same thing happens.

I did the same update on my 20" iMac with no problem at all.

Any suggestion or ideas?

TIA

2. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

Update....Problem solved.

For all of you that future browsers of this thread, even though no responses where posted, here is how I solved the problem.

First, let me say that this is a very common problem, specially amongst PB users when updating from Tiger to Leopard and/or doing OSX version updates. If you visit the Apple web site and go to Support > Discussion Forum just search for iSight and you know what I mean by "common" problem. The problem, and how to solve it, is not only related to my case in which the image faded to almost pitch black, but green backgrounds, iSight not working at all or even being recognized by the system/software and/or not working with only certain specific programs (iChat, Photobooth, etc.)

The good new is that the problem can be solved, and that in 99% of the cases it's not hardware related...so your precious machine doesn't have to leave for a short vacation at the technical service spa :)

There are several things you can do, as suggested, and some will work for you and some will not. So be thorough and try them all:

1.- Reset your PRam
    2.- Reset your SMC
    3.- Repair Permission
    4.- Log out of your account, create new one and log in
    5.- Delete Photobooth's p.list file
    6.- Reinstall the trouble software (iChat, Photobooth, etc.) from the original disks.
    7.- If an update was performed (10.4.10 > 10.4.11 or Tiger to Leopard), do it again.

If you want more info, visit

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1195777&tstart=30
    http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5698019#5698019

Hope this helps.