iSight is freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fliesy, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Fliesy macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm having problems with my iSight camera. It used to work just fine, so I have the feeling that it must be related to a software update, however I didn't check properly directly after the update so I'm not sure.

In Skype and Photobooth the iSight camera just freezes after a while. Sometimes closing and reopening Photobooth works. Sometimes it says that it doesn't detect a camera. I've tried to reset the SMC however (I can't remove a battery), if I shutdown, unplug the power cord and press the power button for 5 seconds, the mac automatically reboots whereas the instructions on the apple site state that it shouldn't and I should attach the power cord and press the power button to boot it. I've also tried some suggestions for troubleshooting from this forum, but so far nothing seems to work. Does anybody have some idea's, cause this is driving me absolutely crazy!

Cheers,
    Lisa

2. macarash macrumors newbie

Hi Lisa,

I've exactly the same problem as you. isight freezes after a few seconds. I have also tried to reset SMC as you have done but it just reboots the MacBook. Please let me know if you find a cure for this problem.

Regards,
    Arash

3. Fliesy thread starter macrumors newbie

Additional information

Hi,

I will tell you if I manage to solve the problem. I'm working on a 13'' macbook pro and am running Mac OS X 10.6.3. Do you think your problems also started after a software update?

Cheers,
    Lisa

4. macarash macrumors newbie

Lisa,

I'm either using MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.6.3.

I really don't know when the built in isight has crashed like this; because previously I have never tried to use the isight except 1-2 minutes when I got the MacBook.

According to the apple discussion forum when the SMC reset does not solve the problem it is a sign of hardware malfunctioning not a software problem. The problem here is that it has been suggested to reset SMC when isight is not recognized, but at least in my case I can see the buit-in isight in the System Profiler; but apart from this as you mentioned holding the power button actually does not reset the SMC.

Regards,
    Arash

5. Fliesy thread starter macrumors newbie

Brought to iCentre

Hi,

I brought the mac to repair! I'll let you know what the problem was, but it'll take some time i guess.

Cheers,
    Lisa

6. Fliesy thread starter macrumors newbie

It's repaired

Hi,

iCentre just called. They've replaced the whole screen and believe it was a problem in the cable.

Cheers,
    Lisa