iSight led turns on by itself

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mstrk, Feb 26, 2017.

1. mstrk macrumors newbie

mstrk

Hello everyone,

a few minutes ago I was on facebook with my macbook pro (using Chrome) and I realised that the iSight green led was on. So I checked if my Facetime or Skype app was running, but it was not.

So I thought, maybe I called someone accidentally on Facebook, but this was not the case too.

Only running apps were Outlook, Word, Powerpoint and Chrome. But after I closed the tab of Facebook, the green light turned off. So I would to ask you, what can be possible the reason of that green light?

Hope you can help me.

2. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

Looks like you answered your own question. Sounds like something on Facebook was accessing your camera.

3. mstrk thread starter macrumors newbie

mstrk

Thanks for your answer,

I know something was accessing my camera but that's not possible without my permission right (on Facebook for example)? If it happens without my permission, it means I'm hacked? So I would to ask you how this can be happening?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If it is only on your facebook page, it's likely a setting, or an app that you have allowed, perhaps by default. You would need to look carefully through your facebook settings. Probably something there.
    If you don't turn up anything, report it to Facebook support. They may be able to help more easily than someone on this forum.
    In the mean time, fix it by covering your camera. A little bit of tape/post-it note, etc will keep that little "keyhole to your world" closed, until you figure out what has happened.

5. mstrk thread starter macrumors newbie

mstrk

Thanks for your answer!

But it just happened once. So I reported the "problem" to Facebook, but I don't think they would answer me personally. I do not use cracked apps or something, so don't think I can be that easly hacked.
    That's the reason I can't figure it out.

6. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

Check for extensions or plugins being used by Facebook and disable them. Check if the same behaviour happens in another browser, Safari for example.

7. mstrk thread starter macrumors newbie

mstrk

I have checked it on Safari, but it doesn't allow video-calls for example, because it doesn't support Flash. So I don't think that my webcam will be on, on Safari. I used Chrome yesterday and didn't have problems this time. As extensions, I use Ad blocker, Web developer tool and "new blank tab". But I did removed the "new blank tab" extension yesterday (was an extension used by 5.000 people, so is not that popular), so I don't know if that caused the problem because normally it shouldn't be control the webcam.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If flash is allowing your camera, you could adjust the settings in the flash plugin to prevent use of the webcam.

Make sure that none of your sharing settings are turned on, unless you need them. (System Preferences/Sharing)
    Make sure that System Preferences/Flash Player/Camera & Mic settings are what you want.

Have you checked the various privacy settings in Chrome to make sure that you have ultimate control over apps that might use the camera (and not an incoming connection, for example)? Do a search in the Chrome advanced settings. You should see several possibilities there.

Bottom line here, is that someone else can't (afaik) accidentally turn on your webcam, unless you have allowed it.

9. mstrk thread starter macrumors newbie

mstrk

Flash player isn't installed on my computer, I use the built in "flash" on Chrome.
    But a few months ago, I did installed the "web developer tool" extension for my web development lessons at the college. I checked it, and it says that it needs the permission of the camera and the microphone.
    Maybe this was the problem? But again, if this caused the problem, someone has enabled the camera?

10. DeltaMac, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you have allowed the camera and microphone, then you need to know that it might be used.
    If someone accesses a site that you are connected to, and you have allowed the camera, etc, then you get to expect that the camera will be accessed. (You have allowed that to happen.)
    If you don't want that to happen, then block/turn off those settings.