iSight no longer works after Snow Leopard update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Baggy Spandex, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

After updating, seems that my iSight camera no longer functions. In iChat, the user on the other end had no video from me, nor did I have a preview. In Photo Booth I get nothing but a black screen. The green LED indicator still functions as if the camera was on, but no image at all.

I tried zapping the PRAM and resetting the SMU or PMU as well, but with no luck. It acts as if it's functioning properly with the light activating and system profiler recognizes the iSight cam in USB devices.

Am I alone?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Here's the ever popular answer, reformat and install. I have a Macbook Pro and an iMac and no issues with iSight.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is this an external iSight? My FW iSight works fine and all of my customers are super happy still. :p

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Especially since they get a higher res view within iChat. ;)

5. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

had the same problem, but realised i hadn't restarted the computer since the upgrade. a simple restart sorted things out.

6. Hobart macrumors newbie

Hobart

Same problem - reboot fixed it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had the exact same problem after doing a disk wipe / fresh install of Snow Leopard.

Hardware: MacBook White (5,2) - Built-in iSight

iSight wasn't listed on the USB bus in System Profiler at all. Shut down / poweroff and reboot and it's working fine.

(Can't find if there's a command to rescan the USB buses)

7. apeythegeek macrumors newbie

iSight (Built-In) No longer working in SL with Y! Beta 3.0

My iSight works fine in iChat but not in Yahoo Messenger, which I have to use to interface with friends who are not MacUsers who don't use AOL or iChat. It worked fine before I installed Snow Leopard, but now, Yahoo Messenger doesn't work at all. I tried restarting both the computer and program. Any suggestions?

P.S. Snow Leopard was not worth the upgrade. I've had more problems than any other Mac OS ever.

8. Terediego macrumors newbie

Isight problem

I had the same problem after installing snowleopard, no capture of image in photoboot , no image with the Skype video

it resulted that one of the 2 USB cables I had connected at the back, and which were not in use ( one for my digital camera, and one with a card reader) caused the problem.
    After disconnecting the cables all was OK

I hope this can be of any help for other members