iSight not found on my MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tbassetto, Mar 22, 2010.

1. tbassetto macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Macbook pro Late 2007 with a built-in iSight (of course) and Mac OS X 10.6.

Some weeks ago my iSight started to be not recognized by software like Photo Booth of Skype. As I don't use it frequently I didn't search a solution but now I miss my webcam.

Photo Booth simply show a message like "webcam not connected".

I think that the problem started when i uninstalled an app which emulate a webcam from a video file. But I can't remember the name of this app.

What can I do now?

Thanks.

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

3. tbassetto thread starter macrumors newbie

4. beccaness macrumors newbie

I had this problem a few days ago on my '08 MBP.

This is if anyone happens to be searching and has the exact same problem.

I couldn't find any solution that applied to me. Here's what I did to fix it...

I've been trying to free up space on my MBP, so I backed it up on the external,
    and then deleted over 20,000 (photo and design) files. Apparently, that made my macbook mad...

Photobooth, skype, and facebook all said no webcam was attached. I looked through and it showed
    that it didn't even have iSight. Boy did that make me mad. After searching google for hours and
    coming up with nothing that would fix it, I just decided to turn toward Time Machine.

Well, when I restored all 20,000 of those files from the external, iSight magically worked again...
    I didn't delete any pertinent software.. Just PSD, PDF, JPG, INDD, and AI files.

But now I'm back to square one with tons of files slowing my MBP down.

Does anyone know why iSight just disappears? I've seen different cases of this happening, with
    different fixes each time. It's not like we physically unplug the camera, even though, that's
    what it's acting like...

5. tbassetto thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey.

Concerning my problem:
    • I went to an apple store and the genius said that my iSight was working with his snow leopard on an external hard drive, so it wasn't a technical problem
    • after installed the 10.6.6 update, the iSight was working again

But now, it's not working at all, again.