Isight not working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by crazypilot48, Mar 16, 2009.

1. crazypilot48 macrumors newbie

I went to use my built in isight on my macbook pro and the computer says there is no computer. I've looked in the system profiler and it does not show that my isight is there. Iv'e tried a hard reset(smc), and still can't find it. Can't someone help me or should i just take it to an apple genius and get some help?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If it doesn't show in System Profiler, despite the SMC reset, its almost definitely a hardware issue. To eliminate the likelihood of any software issue you could reinstall the OS but its a long shot, bring it to a service provider or retail location to have it looked-over.

3. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

MacBook Air iSight Not working

Let me know what you find out. My iSight stopped working on my MacBook Air also. It shows in my system profiler, but when the camera is on (green indicator light is on) the video shows black.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@scottness: Does it work in any application? Photo Booth, iMovie, iChat audio/video preferences? Try the SMC reset if the light remains lit whether you're in an application that would use the iSight or not. If it doesn't work in a particular application you may need to reinstall the said application(s) after verifying that it doesn't even work in another computer user account with the same application. There's a documented issue with iMovie and its fix here.

5. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

It doesn't work with any app. Photo Booth, iChat, etc. BUT, when the app tries to use it, the green light is on. Strange--I keep checking to see if I covered the camera with something. I've tried the smc reset, too, but still nothing. I'm hoping to find a solution other than taking it in. The Genius bar is a pain... and I'll probably have to leave it there a few days. I may have to take my iMac in eventually, too, because my firewire 800 port isn't working. I'll try the smc reset on the imac, just to see...

Thanks for the help. Very appreciated, even if I'm not back 100% yet. Would appreciate more suggestions if you have them. Thanks!

6. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Update on the iMac Firewire 800: The SMC reset was the cure! Thanks for the idea! Still need a fix for the MBAir iSight, though. Thanks, Jedi.

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If its detected by the System Profiler but doesn't work in any of the applications it may be a software issue that could only be resolved by reinstalling the OS. This is only if you have tested on multiple applications, and on the other user account I mentioned you can create.

8. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Yeah, it's not working in any apps or any of the user accounts.

Great. Takes so long to reinstall... At least I bought the superdrive.

Thanks for your help!