iSight on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkW19, Jan 27, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I'll be using my MBP with a Cinema Display and external keyboard/mouse while at home, which obviously means I won't have access to the MBPs inbuilt iSight.

I currently use a standalone iSight with my G5 - can I use this with the MBP when I need to? If so, how would I select which iSight to use in iChat/iMovie etc.?

2. billandy macrumors regular

yes of course you may use your isight with any mac computer that has appropriate software installed on it-probably that means os x.

go to the preferences in ichat, select the appropriate video source-in your case, probably you'll see one built-in isight and one isight. pick the right one and off you go!

for imovie, hit the camera button in the left of the middle menu bar. then you can see a camera selection drop-down box at the bottom left corner. easy peasy!

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good, thanks. I was just wondering if the MBP may get confused by having 2 iSights available to select from, and only let me choose the inbuilt one.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you could open the macbook pro and use the isight then. this is what i do. when you open the macbook pro it will be in extended desktop mode so make sure the cinema display is set as the main screen in the display preferences.

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

I couldn't do that really, because my MBP won't be in front of me, it'll probably be on a shelf somewhere to save desktop space, and I'd like to use the standalone iSight if possible...