Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I am on the phone with applecare right now in order to send my new macbook in for repair. I purchased this book only one month ago, and now the isight is not recognized by photobooth or imoviehd. Apple is sending me a box to ship it to a repair center to fix isight. What a bummer, one month and the camera craps out. I guess it's just part of owning a computer. All this happened on vacation while using isight to record relatives saying hello to my family here in the states. what a bummer.
s

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
No doubt. Hey, I'm still very happy with the macbook. Very good machine, for a great price.
s

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I don't know which is less invasive. I did make sure they noted microsoft office for mac is installed, and that it must be there when I get it back. I think the guy was a bit pissed with me, I asked a bunch of questions, and covered all my bases prior to completing the dispatch report. I was hoping they would just have me go to an apple store for a replacement, but no luck. Fortunately enough, this macbook has no other problems reported by others. It doesn't even run that hot. Apps work smoothly, and the 1gb upgrade is not nice but necessary. I think that anyone would be happy with this machine.
s

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
No, it displays a blue screen when in imoviehd, and just tells me that there is no camera connected. Photobooth won't even open, I just get the prompt that there is no camera connected. I recieved the shipping box today, and will ship tomorrow first thing. I was told 5-7 days, but who knows. I've backed everything up, and erased the personal stuff. Has anyone had to send notebooks for repair, and if so, what is your feedback.
s

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
that really does suck man...hopefully everything will turn out ok.

I just got off the phone w/ applecare today too...taking my macbook back to exchange it for another because of the discoloration. unfortunately....it'll probably happen with the new one too :(

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Sent out my Macbook via DHL at 5pm yesterday evening. Got an email at 7am this morning that it has arrived in the repair facility. Amazing that they got it that fast. Hopefully it will be a quick repair and maybe I'll have it by the beginning of next week.

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
isight not the only problem with macbook

O.K. So Apple is going to send my macbook back to me, but not without a price. Someone tell me if I am being too picky or what. I spoke with Apple regarding the progress of the isight repair, and was told that it was fixed but during the final testing of hardware, the techs found something else. They would not tell me what, only that the repair was on hold until they determined what the issue was. I then asked if the replaced parts, if any, would be new or referbished. They then told me that they do not distinguish between the two, and there would be no way of telling which they had installed. This makes me angry. I did not pay upwards of $2000 dollars for a machine they will but used parts in, let alone a machine only a month old. I ranted and raved and the following day i recieved an email stating that I would be recieving my macbook shortly. What am I to think. Is it normal to use these referbished parts, and should I be concerned?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
That happened to me too...it used to piss me off, but then I got a refirb chasi from Gateway (just swap hard drive and RAM) to replace my dead laptop and they sent it with a CPU and DVD burner upgrade, so I didn't complain..

adapmal

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2006
São Paulo - Brazil
Green display

I have a green display!!! What can I do? It begins to happen since I reinstalled my MacOSX. I also use Windows with the bootcamp and there was no problem in that OS.
I have a MacBook Pro, 17"
Tks!

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
adapmal said:
I have a green display!!! What can I do? It begins to happen since I reinstalled my MacOSX. I also use Windows with the bootcamp and there was no problem in that OS.
I have a MacBook Pro, 17"
Tks!

Why did you reinstall MacOSX? And I assume that you are running Winows at the same time, or not?

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Damn isight again!!!!

Once again, my isight camera is not working. Same issues, and System Profiler does not recognize that it is connected. I know that this is a somewhat minor issue, though it is very irritating. I have to send it in again.
I know it has been discussed here before, but do I have to worry about my third party ram, or should I reinstall my factory ram when I send it in.
And is anyone else still suffering the isight problem?

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2007
O.K. So Apple is going to send my macbook back to me, but not without a price. Someone tell me if I am being too picky or what. I spoke with Apple regarding the progress of the isight repair, and was told that it was fixed but during the final testing of hardware, the techs found something else. They would not tell me what, only that the repair was on hold until they determined what the issue was. I then asked if the replaced parts, if any, would be new or referbished. They then told me that they do not distinguish between the two, and there would be no way of telling which they had installed. This makes me angry. I did not pay upwards of $2000 dollars for a machine they will but used parts in, let alone a machine only a month old. I ranted and raved and the following day i recieved an email stating that I would be recieving my macbook shortly. What am I to think. Is it normal to use these referbished parts, and should I be concerned?

I don't understand why there would be a problem with a refurb part in your MB. If it works, things are OK, and if it doesn't, then it could have been a refurb part or a new part. Computers fail sometimes.

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I don't understand why there would be a problem with a refurb part in your MB. If it works, things are OK, and if it doesn't, then it could have been a refurb part or a new part. Computers fail sometimes.

Yes, computers do fail sometimes. When the isight originally failed, the computer was only a month old, and I though it should have been repaired using optimal components. Who knows, maybe I was right to be concerned about that because now the very same component is failing again.
I do not know if it is because it was refurbished or not, but the problem still stands, my isight is not broken for the second time. I find it very weird that the same issue is popping up all over again. I am glad that it isn't something that has affected the information stored in my computer though.
If anyone has any information for me pertaining to my last post, it would be much appreciated. As it stands, I will probably replace the factory ram for return for service.

DocMacPS

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
Built-In iSight Gone & Back

Seems alot of people are having quirks with built-in iSight not being recognized, especially after upgrading to 10.5 Leopard. That happened to me and wasted two days of my life de-installing, re-installing, archive installing, clean installing, zapping, restarting ad infinitum. Just refused to show up in Profiler. Today it suddenly starting working again for reasons I can't fathom. Did a bit of Googling and it seems the iSight's ribbon cable in the MacBook display MAY work loose, but I somehow think that affects Very Few users.

Glad I have a second UVC compliant USB webcam. A short list of absolutely Plug-N-Play cams for an iSight substitute is at http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/

Given how buggy Leopard is, let's pray for a big honkin' 10.5.2 Combined Update to be released during Macworld Expo. I'd bet webcam Kernel Extensions will get a much needed tweak - among a 101 other things...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.