iSight pricing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shipdestroyer, Jun 22, 2007.

1. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

What's a decent price for a used iSight? iSighted one on craigslist that I may want to pounce on.

2. jshbckr macrumors 6502

I just got one for $150. Some people pay over $200.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they're waaaaaay over priced.
    seriously. other USB cams work now, so i'd get one of those unless the iSight was a bargain.

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Other webcams are ugly and not as good. I've tried several from creative and logitech and apple quality is bar none.

If you have an ebay account you can see completed listings and what the last few iSights sold for.

I sold my 3 yr old iSight for $167 back in April. I paid $130 (w/ edu discount) back then.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'm selling one on eBay. I set the starting price at 99¢ to attract bidders, and it worked. Within 24 hours it had a dozen bids a few watchers and was up to $76! I've had about 100 auctions on eBay and I've never seen anything like this happen before. If you are in the market for an iSight, you can expect to pay a premium, just like the original Airport card after Apple discontinued it.

Both these products are interesting in the same way. There was nothing special about the Airport card, it was a standard PCM-CIA style card just like every other card on the market. But it (AFAIK) is the only one that was short enough to fit inside Apple laptops and had an antenna port to boot! The iSight, while not revolutionary is just better designed, especially in the mounting hardware, i.e. laptop clip and magnetic mount for their aluminum displays. Apple does not generally innovate completely new products, but they do an excellent job of taking existing technologies and making them work far better than the competition.