Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kit0515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2007
first of all, my isight is actually working and i am using BC1.4b and windows XP SP2.
the problem is the iSight on messenger is zoomed in very close but when i just open the isight in My Computer its normal. anyone knows why??
and it is also not possible adjust the zoom and other configurations for the camera.
i have a Macbook Pro 15"

thanks for anyone who can help me

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
that would be a problem with live messenger. there is a options for the camera that you can set. i would look there first. maybe its just been stuffed up somehow.

kit0515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2007
thanks for the replies.

I just checked with skype, and it worked.
However, i still do not know how to fix the zoom problem with windows live messenger even if i click on the "camera setting" and it still doesnt let me do it.

thanks again.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
thanks for the replies.

I just checked with skype, and it worked.
However, i still do not know how to fix the zoom problem with windows live messenger even if i click on the "camera setting" and it still doesnt let me do it.

thanks again.

damn that's not good. i thought that maybe it was zoomed in or something in the settings. i'm out of ideas here sorry mate

kit0515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2007
I think it is the MSN software's problem.
because the driver of my isight is called "USB Video Device"
or is it supposed to be called something with apple isight?

evilspoons

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
I'm experiencing the same problem here.

As for the "USB Video Device" vs "Built-in iSight" thing, if you go into the Device Manager and poke through the device IDs and whatnot for the Built-In iSight device, it says somewhere (don't remember exactly, there were a lot of items) that it's a "USB Video Device" for the driver.

I found a report of the same thing happening with Marratech video conferencing, so it's not a MSN/WLM issue, in my opinion. The problem in Marratech can be rectified by deleting the data file that holds the settings for the camera when you click the "advanced" button and get that ugly Windows Driver Model generic webcam adjustment page.

However, MSN/WLM stores its data in a central repository, the registry, and therefore cannot be deleted easily. I can't find WLM's registry entries for webcam settings so far.

At any rate, I think it's a driver problem (on Apple's side) due to the Windows webcam dialogue incorrectly picking default values, then storing "incorrect" ones in the registry, after assuming they're the correct defaults. I noticed this when opening this properties box in VIDCAP32.EXE - many of the sliders were in the wrong spots for their current settings, and some of the sliders were beyond their normal maximum ranges.

I'll post back if I can get anything fixed here. Hopefully it'll just go away in Leopard's boot camp *crosses fingers*

raysmd

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2007
any update to getting the iSight to work with live messenger or yahoo messenger for windows?

raysmd

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2007
isight has ALWAYS worked for me on windows....works really well.

really? Are you using bootcamp or parallels? I can't seem to get either one to work. On msn live it's too zoomed in. On yahoo messenger, the webcam just doesn't show up. This is on the Alu iMac right?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
really? Are you using bootcamp or parallels? I can't seem to get either one to work. On msn live it's too zoomed in. On yahoo messenger, the webcam just doesn't show up. This is on the Alu iMac right?

oh hmm. im using bootcamp, its worked 4 me since 1.2. i am using my mbp tho....i shall have 2 check the imac 4 ya, once i activate xp hahahaha

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
yeah
I have the same issue
very annoying
It's fine if I do a audio/video setup
but if it's on webcam settings, it's messed up

actual IM in MSN messenger with windows xp for a SR MBP for me is messed up with the zoom thingy as posted above

any fix?

nl-x

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2007
I've had exactly the same problem. In WLM the Cam would be totaly zoomed in.
But now it just got plain worse!
The camera picture is very bad. All kinds of lines, and colors disrupt the image. And again: only in Windows Live Messenger.
In Skype the picture is OK.

Anyone experience this as well or know of a remedy ?

Kind regards.

nl-x

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2007
I've had exactly the same problem. In WLM the Cam would be totaly zoomed in.
But now it just got plain worse!
The camera picture is very bad. All kinds of lines, and colors disrupt the image. And again: only in Windows Live Messenger.
In Skype the picture is OK.

Anyone experience this as well or know of a remedy ?

Kind regards.

Anybody?

Mac-soul

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
Workaround Isight/messenger zoom issue (windows)

first of all, my isight is actually working and i am using BC1.4b and windows XP SP2.
the problem is the iSight on messenger is zoomed in very close but when i just open the isight in My Computer its normal. anyone knows why??
and it is also not possible adjust the zoom and other configurations for the camera.
i have a Macbook Pro 15"

thanks for anyone who can help me

Hey :)

Had the same problem, and judging from most posts on various forums, this is a messenger issue. What i did to solve it is to dowload SplitCam :) I've just used it tonight, but it's working really good for me and solved the zoom issue right away :) seeing as it's freeware as well, this is a pretty good workaround... :) Just download, start the webcam/audio menu in messenger and choose the splitcam input instead of your Isight(USB webcam)... then start up SplitCam and choose the Isight(USB Webcam) as your source.... click video so that it's displayed in Splitcam, and it will broadcast to your messenger when you start a video converstation... :)http://www.splitcamera.com/

Hope you get it to work :)

Ray

killerdude77

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
problem with the isight cam in MSN on windows by bootcamp

i checked out what is wrong here.
it is for sure a problem with the driver from apple for the isight cam.
i tested another cam on my macbook pro 15 inch with bootcamp and win7
and that works perfectly, but when i select isight again i get zoomed in cam.
that means Mac-soul tell's you with splitcam it will work. it doesnt...
i also tested manycam, it works but it makes your frame drop
from 30 frames per sec to 0,25 frame (1 frame every 4 sec).
that is too slow to work with.
if you run win on macbook pro use isight cam with zoom till boot camp update is drivers. till that time IF your home just use your old webcam for windows that will work perfectly.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Sorry to bump this old thread, but it seems like this issue is somewhat random. I have two Macs (iMac and Macbook). It has always worked perfectly on my Macbook, but on my iMac it use to be zoomed in, but now it doesn't work on MSN at all. It shows up in the Video settings, but when I try to webcam with someone, it wont let me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.