isight problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hasek3139, May 2, 2009.

1. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

i used to be able to connect to any mac for video chats and screen sharing, as well as PCs.

but i cant connect to any of my friends with a mac.

the video chat wont work with ichat by the way

i tried at home and school i have no idea what is wrong, does any one have any ideas?

2. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

I am having the same issue as well. But just recently it worked out of the blue. But it does coke and go. I read somewhere on this forum, I think, and it said it could be a problem with an installed application. Perian was said to be an issue. I have it on my MBP and was gonna uninstall it to test but that's the day it worked so not tested yet... But try that if you have Perian installed.

-Tony

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If your iSight is working intermittently chances are you're on a network and you need to forward your ports. If you're not on a network and you're directly connected to the modem, you can try to delete the iChat .plists from user accounts\Library\Preferences

4. dantidote macrumors member

Make sure internet sharing is disabled. For some reason it breaks video chats.

5. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

hah yup that worked thanks man, i used internet sharing to connect my xbox to the internet so i can go on xbox live

6. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

I have tried the deleting of the .plist file for ichat and reinstalled and so forth. I am on a network and have port forwarded and internet sharing is off. The intermittent video chats are hard to explain. They work with certain people only. Sometimes Mac to Mac is fine, other times no, and Mac to PC is sometimes doable too. So its still a mystery to me. I actually called AppleCare a while back and they were actually the ones who recommended the deletion of the .plist file and it didn't work. I guess I just have bad luck :(

-Tony

7. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i cant always connect to a PC for video chat, even at school when im on the same network, the ichat wont work, but if i go thru like meebo.com (AIM express alternative) any one got a fix for that? and how to i get to .plist? maybe if i delete that I can connect with a PC :)

8. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

iLog.Genius stated how to get to the .plist file. And I'm in the same boat as you. I can do video chat on yahoo messenger and meebo and some other things like skype but iChat just doesn't work for me like it should.

-Tony

9. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah but i dunno how hes just telling me where to go not at to do lol