Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I knew my kids TinkerToys would be handy some day! :D

Attachments

• 2013-12-24 20.16.15.jpg
    2013-12-24 20.16.15.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 148

sliceoftoast

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
In a Toaster
Nice,

We ripped a isight cam out of a dead Macbook Air and rewired the pins so it would allow us to plug it in via USB. We mounted that at work to see if any customers needed help or waiting to be served.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
iChat and Skype.. yeah I wanted to believe in the beauty of video chatting, but I never did figure it out. I've still got my iSight mounted to the top of my display, and I've had a MacBook Pro since May 2006 with it's cute little built in camera, but aside from the initial "cool" factor that came with Photo Booth and a few awkward iChat AV chats just to try it out, I really didn't have any use for it. Its probably been 5 years since I've used an iSight camera. Maybe for people with lots of friends and family far away it makes more sense, but I just find the whole concept of video chatting remarkably uncomfortable. Again, maybe for people who never see each other it makes sense, but at the end of the day I'd rather just talk on the phone.

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
iChat and Skype.. yeah I wanted to believe in the beauty of video chatting, but I never did figure it out. I've still got my iSight mounted to the top of my display, and I've had a MacBook Pro since May 2006 with it's cute little built in camera, but aside from the initial "cool" factor that came with Photo Booth and a few awkward iChat AV chats just to try it out, I really didn't have any use for it. Its probably been 5 years since I've used an iSight camera. Maybe for people with lots of friends and family far away it makes more sense, but I just find the whole concept of video chatting remarkably uncomfortable. Again, maybe for people who never see each other it makes sense, but at the end of the day I'd rather just talk on the phone.

I agree - always assumed its a generational thing i.e. I'm an old git and those youngsters can just get on with it and leave me to my old fashioned ways :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Well, I'm 43 so I don't know if that makes me old or not. But I have a few friends, particularly one in London that I video chat with and I have done pencil/paper roleplaying games (think Dungeons and Dragons) via Skype. It means you can do that with friends who are a state over without having to physically be in the room with them, which is nice.

And some family back in Georgia who have been clamoring for us to use Skype.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I don't know how things are now, but when I was growing up, once a person turned 40 they were officially "over the hill". :D
Hold on minute while I crank up the zoom level so I can read what you said…:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.