Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shrhaider

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Seoul
I'm getting ready to make the switch, buying a Macbook, and I just realized from someone's post that the built-in iSight doesn't work in Windows. Will it work when Leopard is released and BootCamp is no longer in beta? This is so lame, I was really looking forward to using it to talk to my parents on Skype, but they don't have a Mac.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
shrhaider said:
I'm getting ready to make the switch, buying a Macbook, and I just realized from someone's post that the built-in iSight doesn't work in Windows. Will it work when Leopard is released and BootCamp is no longer in beta? This is so lame, I was really looking forward to using it to talk to my parents on Skype, but they don't have a Mac.

You can still use skype to talk. I didnt know skype had video support. I am probably wrong

shrhaider said:

No one on these forums knows the answer, but I'm sure Apple are working hard to get it working because:

1. It's a popular requested feature by users.

2. Boot Camp is still in it's Beta stages, so Apple are still working on improvements.

3. Leopards version of Boot Camp, which is built into the Operating System should probably have more features / support that the current Boot Camp.

4. I don't see it being too difficult to implement, as there are a lot of computers out there with built-in webcams, like the Sony Vaio series, etc. That work perfectly with Windows.

Maybe Apple or a 3rd party will just have to write a plugin that you install to get it working.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
That would be a great commerical.

Mac: Hello, I am a Mac.
PC: I am a PC.

If Apple produces a iSight compatible phone and also releases a Windows version of iChat then iChat will become more popular.

BornAgainMac said:
If Apple produces a iSight compatible phone and also releases a Windows version of iChat then iChat will become more popular.

That might not be entirely accurate, because at least here in Europe, Microsoft's Instant Messenger network accounts for around 85% of instant chat on computers... no one hardly uses the iChat / AOL network here.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
apple needs to make it easier to get msn working over ichat, it's a pain in the ass via jabber.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
Balli said:
That might not be entirely accurate, because at least here in Europe, Microsoft's Instant Messenger network accounts for around 85% of instant chat on computers... no one hardly uses the iChat / AOL network here.
I never understood why MSN?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Balli said:

I wish iChat supported Microsoft's network natively instead of supporting AOL. I prefer Microsoft over AOL and many people I know also prefer them in the U.S. also. AOL is too U.S. centric at least by the name.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
BornAgainMac said:
I wish iChat supported Microsoft's network natively instead of supporting AOL. I prefer Microsoft over AOL and many people I know also prefer them in the U.S. also. AOL is too U.S. centric at least by the name.

what the hell, msn sucks it's an ad covered slow ass unreliable POS, sure the offical AIM client sucks use GAIM and it's great.

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
Hector said:
what the hell, msn sucks it's an ad covered
Not once you remove the ads.

Hector said:
use GAIM and it's great.
This defeats the purpose of the discussions in this thread. The whole point is being able to use the webcam. Gaim does not support video.

On an overall note though, Adium is far better than the Microsoft MSN client and iChat, shame it doesn't do video.

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
I think AOL's lack of penetration outside of America is show by the fact that they are selling their UK arm to Rupert Murdoch's BSkyB, so there may no longer be any AOL this side of the ocean to speak of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.