iSight with 2010 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Desmo1098, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Desmo1098 macrumors regular

Desmo1098

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum... I found the answer, see below.

I just picked up an iSight FireWire Camera off Craigslist. Since my Mac Pro does not have a FireWire 400 port I picked up a Belkin FireWire 800/400 9-pin to 6-pin cable.

When I plug the iSight into the rear FireWire 800 port iChat starts and the green light on top of the iSight camera is illuminated. I can see video clearly, but there is no audio. I check System Profiler and System Preferences and everything is listed and selected as they should be.

Does anyone have any ideas why I would not be getting any audio?

2. Desmo1098 thread starter macrumors regular

Desmo1098

Check the iSight version in the "FireWire" section of System, profiler (Utilities folder). It should be at least 1.0.3
    If it's not, try the 1.0.3 update
    <http://support.apple.com/kb/DL502>
    The installer won't run in Snow Leopard but you can right-click and use "Show Package Contents" and get the update application from:
    iSightUpdater103.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz

3. rogerdee123 macrumors newbie

If I recall, the firewire iSight Cam doesn't have a mike. So you must use the mike on your computer ... or if you have a MacPro the mike may be on the front (lower right corner?) of your screen/display (if it's a Mac display).

If you have a MacPro and a non-Apple display, you probably don't have a mike and will have to plug in an external mike into the audio-in on the back of your MacPro.

4. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

The iSight webcam does have an integrated microphone.

5. oilfighter macrumors regular

I think you have to go to System Preference > Sound, then change the Input to the proper source. MacPro doesn't automatically do this for some reason.