Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bram.werbrouck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Hi,

I want to learn to program on a MAC (using Xcode) especially using the iSght webcam. Does anyone knows some good tutorials, soure codes or help me any further ...?

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Hi,

I want to learn to program on a MAC (using Xcode) especially using the iSght webcam. Does anyone knows some good tutorials, soure codes or help me any further ...?

Are you already an experienced programmer? If you're just getting started learning to program, have a look at the guides at the top of the programming forum, also do a search using the link in my signature for topics on learning to program on the Mac (there are TONS of threads on this topic already).

You can tap into the iSight, but that is relatively advanced, and you likely won't reach the point where you're writing software that interacts with it for a good while, if you're just learning how to program.

If you're already an experienced programmer, please forgive my assumption to the contrary.

bram.werbrouck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
What do you plan to do with the camera? Be specific.

Without knowing specifically what you plan to do, it's difficult to offer specific advice.

I need to capture a picture with the iSight and store it on my hard disk

peoplevoice

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Maybe you don't need any programming at all

I need to capture a picture with the iSight and store it on my hard disk

Start iChat, focus whatever you want to have in the picture, and press the following keys simultaneously: command shift 4

A small cursor (a circle with a cross) will appear on screen. Move this cursor to the left top corner of the picture you want. Click and keep pressing the mouse until you cover the area for the picture (You'll see a gray transparent rectangle). Stop pressing the mouse and a Screenshot......png file will be in your desktop.

The last part is known as taking a picture of part of the screen.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Yes I know what a screenshot is :) but I need to capture a picture with the iSight in my program, that's why I need the code for

Describe your program. What is it written in? What capture rate do you need?

Your first post implied that you had no Mac programming skill at all, and therefore no program. If you already have a program, you need to describe it.

If you're just looking for general information on how to get live video captures, then look at QTKit (google it). If that isn't what you're looking for, then you will have to provide more detail on exactly what you're trying to do, in what language.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.