Isis vs Zeroshock cover for my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jboeckler, Sep 8, 2007.

1. jboeckler macrumors newbie

Hello...my first post here. Been browsing for some time and finally pulled the trigger on a Macbook Pro. I can't believe I've waited so long to take the mac plunge...Everything is rock solid :) Haven't turned it off since I got it and the only app that has crashed so far has been the Microsoft RDP client that I used to log into my windows server. Lol!!!

I would consider myself a pretty advanced windows user and I find that everything is so much easier on the mac but at the same time I wouldn't consider the interface "dummed" down its just more intuitive! Also leopard looks to have some pretty slick enhancements...so I definitely plan on upgrading when its available. Anyways, on to my question.

I've been checking out all the available sleeves for the Macbooks and I've narrowed my search down to either the Zeroshock or the Isis. Isis appears to be a new option and I like what I see but I like the zeroshock with its front pouch as well. I've read all the previous threads but am looking for some fresh feedback on either of the sleeves. I have considered a few others but I feel that these two match my requirements the best.

Also if I order the zeroshock where should I purchase from?

BTW: In my research I ran across these images of the zero shock in someone's flikr acct. They show the sleeve in much more detail than other images I've seen.
    http://flickr.com/photos/kino_eye/265758001/in/photostream

Thanks in advance!

Justin

2. cottons macrumors newbie

The shock zero sleeve looks pretty cool; I have never heard of them before. The one thing I noticed is that it doesn't have the inner lip protecting your MBP from the zipper as Isis sleeves do. I don't think any of the Isis sleeves have pockets except for the neoprene ones (which in my opinion aren't nearly as cool as the memory foam). I do know that the Isis memory foam sleeves were the cheapest that I found when I previously looked for another case after my STM Rebound fell apart. I hope that helps. :)

3. clockwrkz macrumors newbie

I have not tried the Isis memory foam covers but the neoprene cover is a terrible fit for the 17" MBP and would not recommend it at all.

4. jboeckler thread starter macrumors newbie

Bummer...I just purchased the Isis for three reasons it was less expensive, seemed to be made for the MacBook pro (leading me to beleive it would be a better fit) and I liked the look of it better. The Zeroshock looked a bit cheaper IMO and seemed to be thicker but Probably provides better protection and also has an extra pocket.

I hope what you say is not true though...I was really looking for a good tight fit. I will let you guys know when I get it in and post some actual pictures.

5. theman macrumors 6502a

The isis neoprene cover is not designed for macs. only the memory foam covers are designed specifically for mac laptops (macbooks/pros).

6. weckart macrumors 68040

The Zeroshocks have a hard plastic rim around each half, which when zipped up help to form a barrier between the zip and the laptop inside and give extra protection from impacts to the edges. The foam is much firmer and thicker than any other Neoprene sleeve I have come across. Most of the Neoprene sleeves touted on this forum like the Tucanos are expensive junk IMHO.

Combine the Zeroshock with a Speck shell for your MBP and you have some decent protection from knocks and falls.

7. sanzu3 macrumors regular

sanzu3

have you looked at the Moshi ?

I have one on my old macbook and it gives A LOT of protection, plus l like the way you can keep it on when the macbook is open and running. very well made case

8. jboeckler thread starter macrumors newbie

theman -- good to hear...hopefully my cover will fit like a glove. Thanks for the info!

The Moshi looks very nice...a bit expensive but it does look like a good product. I especially like the handle. If the Isis doesn't work out I will have to keep this one in mind. Thanks for the heads up!

9. sanzu3 macrumors regular

sanzu3

It is a bit more expensive - which is why for my new MBP (thats on its way to me as we speak) I ordered a Neocase. The Neocase is fine, but actually seeing it side by side with the Moshi I'm kinda regretting it already. I throw my laptops all over the place during the day and the moshi has this really cool padding all round the edges which is very very sturdy.

I may well ebay the neocase and order another Moshi case

10. jboeckler thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol...yea I may do the same thing if the Isis doesn't work out. It does look pretty protective but I do like the handle of the Moshi! Only slim type protective sleeve I've seen with it.

11. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

12. sanzu3 macrumors regular

sanzu3

i'm regretting more and more not ordering one - what was i thinking....

13. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Just as we pay a premium for Apple products and it pays off, I think the same applies to almost everything in our lives. That case is beautiful and it's definitely going on my "to buy" list.

(Also, I am a man. But that case is just too beautiful for words.)

14. clockwrkz macrumors newbie

It's the case for my 17" MBP for sure. I emailed them before buying to ask about the fit and they ensured me it would be great. Well, it's far from as it's very loose. They offered to exchange it for the memory foam version but since the cost of shipping it would be not much less then the cost of a new one I cut my losses and will buy from a different company.

Interestingly enough they said no one else had complained about the fit of the neoprene sleeve. So I'll guess you'll see for yourself soon enough.

15. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I just checked out the Isis site. The designs are nice, and they are cheap, but they also look cheap. After seeing the moshi se, I'm not sure I can think about anything else. D:

16. sanzu3 macrumors regular

sanzu3

okay, i've accepted the errors of my ways and just ordered a moshi case.

... anyone wana buy an unused neocase for a 15"MBP ????

17. Sylar macrumors newbie

Sylar

How well does the zipper line fit to the mbp though. Does it leave the corners of the mbp open to the zipper line? Is there a protective lip like the Isis cases (it's best feature btw, as I own one and love it), or even a encapsulating double-lip design like the Zeroshock III's (looks as if it seals the mbp away from the zipper)? It doesn't really give a good look in their photos. I want one, so I'm really curious, and you seem to be the only one who can speak from experience in owning one already.

EDIT: Also, how thick is the protective foam (viscotex)?

18. sanzu3 macrumors regular

sanzu3

more photos here:
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/review/h...cbook-and-macbook-pro-laptop-cases-269965.php

the zips never caught or scratched against my macbook

19. Sylar macrumors newbie

Sylar

20. sanzu3 macrumors regular

sanzu3

i've also just order the moshi palmguard

sound pretty good,, though i've never actually used one.

Basically I am very bored of waiting for my MBP so I keep but bits 'n' bobs for it.

21. sanzu3 macrumors regular

sanzu3

of course if money is no object there is always the case-mate

22. powz macrumors regular

Has anyone tried the Zeroshock III or Isis memory foam covers? The Zeroshock III looks just about ideal for a minimalist protective sleeve except they still don't have the special MBP ones available yet -- not sure if the regular 15" ones will do. There are other sleeves from Larobe, Macally, etc. Has anyone tried those?

I just got my Neocase today, and as someone else already pointed out, it definitely feels like inadequate protection. The neoprene feels almost paper-thin at 3mm. So...back in the hunt for a good case.

23. jboeckler thread starter macrumors newbie

I will tell you about the Isis hopefully in a few days. I have been researching all available cases for a week+ now and I narrowed it down to the zeroshock III (which I believe is available from several sources) and the Isis and figured I would give the Isis a shot based on the fact that I wasn't really sold on the look of the Zeroshock and I felt like it may be too stiff and thick for my usage...all personal preference. It did have zipper protection and certainly seems to be the best option if you are looking for protection. Also the extra pouch is nice but I'm not sure how useful it would be.

I do kinda wish I knew about the Moshi because I really like the look and the handle is sweet...plus it comes with a few extra gadgets so I might end up going that route...especially if I'm not satisfied with the Isis cover. If you can wait I will try to post some high res pics of it.

24. Sylar macrumors newbie

Sylar

I have the Isis sleeve, and the memory foam is very nice. The zipper protection is outstanding because the inner lip (also memory foam) is very high and wraps just over the top of the corners of my mbp, protecting it very well. Now the foam is not as thick as the zeroshock, but it seems sturdy (firm) in terms of elasticity. Good quality memory foam IMO.

As an aside, they have some of the best customer service ever. I had a sleeve that did not fit right at first, and took forever to zip for some reason. I was contacted by them and asked how everything was, told them about the first sleeve, and they sent me a new one free of charge without asking for the old one back (I offered and they said to keep it). I was very pleasantly surprised. The price cannot be beat either.