iSkin Keyboard Cover, Worth It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by billli, Dec 14, 2011.

1. billli macrumors newbie

Hi:

I recently got a new MBP (Thank you AppleCare) I was wondering, are the iSkins good for the machine? (http://www.iskin.com/protouch_macbook/)

Since they cover up the keyboard, and I suspect, thats there is the intake air comes in.

Thoughts?

Should I get one to protect the keyboard?

Thanks

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

what was wrong with ur old one? lol

no dont get iskin get Moshi. best brand for keyboard covers. u can order em off the apples tore online. plus free shipping till 22nd

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no air intake or exhaust through the keyboard. There is a solid sheet under the keyboard, preventing any meaningful air flow. All venting, both intake and exhaust, is through the vents at the rear, near the hinge. That's why Mac notebooks can safely be used in clamshell mode.

4. billli thread starter macrumors newbie

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1290513

tl;dr version, something messed up with my old one, and it was a hardware issue, that they can't fix, so they replaced it.

I didn't have one before, and you can see wearing on the keys, the spacebar is ugly.

AH. Thanks. Good stuff.

5. Vook macrumors member

Vook

I bought the moshi, its awesome. Like nothing is there.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

I still use mine after a few years on my MacBook. The iSkin works great, looks great, was only maybe $20 at the time. Really collects a lot of dust/hair/occasional crumbs. Keyboard still looks like brand new.

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Where does it say that he had an old one?

Anyways I agree with moshi for keyboard guards its the best, for skins i prefer zaggs invisible shields.

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

he got a new macbook pro as a replacement. what do you think?

9. Akack macrumors 6502a

Ya, prevents the "smudge" effect on keyboard after prolonged use.

10. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I have purchased many covers and found the brand top case to be the best. Their covers have less silicone around the edges, the keys on the cover stand taller (enabling a tighter fit) and most of all they look more realistic than others. I have about 7-8 colors now, since they were $3-$4 a piece off of amazon, with a free mouse pad per cover!!

I purchased mine due to the matte screen I have as well. My preunibody MBP 17" had a complete keyboard indention on the screen.

11. iphonenub macrumors regular

I just got the moshi clear guard recently so I cannot give a fair review, but so far I really like it and it is extremely thin.

12. Baloney1011 macrumors member

Does the Moshi have any cons, so far? I want to buy it and I'm not sure... I want it to be very good. How are the arrow keys? Are they fine, say, for gaming?

13. iphonenub macrumors regular

The only con is that it feels weird at first. Also, it is a little slippery but I hear it has a break in period which, once broken in the keys feel tactile. As for the arrow keys, they are still easy to push like the other keys and I have had no problems with them. I'm a guy that can't stand to have a screen protector on his and so far I have no problems with having a moshi clear guard on my keyboard.

14. billli thread starter macrumors newbie

Hypothetical situation.

- Put the keyboard cover on your MBP (I am probably going to get the iSkin one, since I live in Canada, and Futureshop is the closest here)

- Type on the keyboard

- When time comes to transport your MBP, do you take the skin off or just leave it in the keyboard?

- If you leave it in there, wouldn't it transfer oil and other crap onto the screen?

15. iphonenub macrumors regular

I keep my keyboard cover on my keyboard at all times and have had no problems with oil going onto the screen. I would imagine that once in awhile you will have to wipe down the keyboard and the screen.

16. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

You sure promote Moshi a lot...it's making me begin to wonder...

17. Baloney1011 macrumors member

Everyone on every forum I've been to has always been very suspicious of everyone else. Is it because most grownups have personal problems which makes them... grumpy? I'm 13 so I wouldn't know.

P.S. I'm not referring to you as "grumpy," being a little suspicious is understandable I guess... just many forum members I come across on various forums are cranky...

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not always a bad thing!
    No, it's the aches and pains that come with old age. I'm a fossil, so I have an excuse for being grumpy. You don't! :D
    You'll get there! (if you're lucky!) 13? Was I EVER that young??? If I was, I sure don't remember! :D

19. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Because people sometimes have ulterior motives.

20. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I think it is more that the older generation grew up with cold hard facts. If something was non-fiction and in print, it was tested, investigated, and proven before going to print. So when we read something it was generally a provable fact. Since the internet and wikipedia, anyone can makes claims, be them proven or not ,and the younger generation trust what they read to be fact. This coupled with the newest belief (I say that as it seems to be the accepted generalization amongst lots of adults) that most youth have little morals or work ethic creates a disparity between the generations. On the flip side, the young generation feel that the adults (as we always did when growing up) no nothing and have lost touch with realty. This disparity causes nothing but hardship between the generations.

21. Baloney1011 macrumors member

Didn't realize my post would get this much attention! Anyway, thanks for the explanations guys... :D

22. randomrazr macrumors 65816

suspicious? susipcious of what?

23. fel10, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015

fel10 macrumors 65816

fel10

24. Smork macrumors member