iSkin Solo Smart for new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by MrMorden, Jun 3, 2012.

1. MrMorden macrumors member

MrMorden

I received this case this last week, bought it directly from iSkin.com, and I am really happy with it. I haven't seen many reviews, so I thought I would write something up.

Let's get the obvious out of the way. This is a TPU case, and some people may find it to be too expensive for what it is. It costs $50. However, if you "like" iSkin on Facebook, you will get a 15% discount on every purchase you make, so that makes it a little bit less expensive.

The case fits really nicely. It is easy to put in (bottom first), and it looks and feels very good. I ordered the black one, although I think that if it was called "smoke", it would be more accurate. It is designed to work with the Apple smart cover, and it locks it in. I know not everyone likes that, but I love it. The functionality of the smart cover is not hindered at all by the case.

The grip is really good, because it has a rubbery feel. The on/off switch, and the volume buttons are covered, but they work fine (you do have to push a lithe bit harder, but they do work fine). Also, the case has covers for the headphone jack and for the dock connector. Some people might find this annoying, but I like it (less dust going in those holes). The speaker is partially covered (around 20%), but the sound doesn't seem to be affected.

The corners of the iPad are completely covered, which offers good protection. Even though the borders of the case are slightly raised above the surface of the iPad bezel, it doesn't bother me when I am holding the iPad in my hand. Also, even though those borders are raised, the smart cover stays in place when turning the iPad (the magnet still holds it in place).

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. I used to have a Yoobao executive leather case, but I was really annoyed by the iPad moving inside it when putting it in the standing position, and that the auto on/off feature with the cover did not work consistently. This combo of iSkin Solo Smart + Apple Smart Cover is exactly what I needed. The price may be a concern, but I think this is the last case I will buy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope someone finds this review useful. Sorry if the writing is not the best.

PS: Before I got this case I tried the Splash Vapor II, which is like a cheap version of this one. Felt cheap, looked dirty, and I got the wrong color sent. When I emailed Splash Products to return it, they never answered. It was cheaper, though ($20).

2. joes1712 macrumors newbie

I have been waiting to see a post for iskin as well. I was on the waiting list for the solo and have been using mine for a couple months. No complaints, covers the corners, great fit, great feel and compliments the smart cover by keeping it in place. I have been a fan of iskin products since my first iPod. A little expensive but look at what it is protecting. Thumbs up for iskin!

3. golf1410, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

I bought this case as well. But I have a problem with my cheap smart cover from eBay. When I try to put the case stand up like you did on the picture 3. My smart cover turns out to be real tightly fit against the iskin case. So my new iPad can't stand up when it is in the case. Do you have a problem with authentic smart cover from Apple?

4. MrMorden thread starter macrumors member

MrMorden

I have an original apple smart cover, and it works perfectly well.

5. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

How easy is it for you to put your iPad stand up with iskin and smart cover? Do you have to force it? Can you put a video of this? Review video on YouTube. I may have to purchase authentic smart cover. Help me out to make it sure please.

6. MrMorden thread starter macrumors member

MrMorden

Making the iPad stand with the iSkin+smart cover is just as easy as with the smart cover alone.
    There is a YouTube video by tech dude6693 showing how it works. That video is a review of the previous version (for iPad 2), but most of what it says applies to the new one (except that I had no problem whatsoever with the volume buttons, which is something that he criticized).

7. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

I just bought a new smart cover from apple and now it works. Thanks.

8. KennySmith macrumors member

what material is this.. looks like very thick to me...

9. Haesslich macrumors member

It says right on the official site (or Google) - TPU. except the left edge that has the retaining spine is polycarbonate fused into the TPU.

10. Netsurfer macrumors member

Hi!
    Do you know if it works with Navitech Smart Cover?

11. KennySmith macrumors member

Navitech Smart Cover??? :confused: ...so a KNOCK OFF with a brand??

12. KennySmith macrumors member

13. Netsurfer macrumors member

I don't think so because its name is different but everything is the same:D

I would like to know if it might work with that back cover from iSkin :p

(sorry for my English:) )

14. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Stick with Apple smart cover cuz it was designed with smart cover. Otherwise, you have to find out by purchasing it and waste money like I did.

15. Haesslich macrumors member

Only if it's physically identical to the official Smart Cover, including the dimensions of the magnet bar and the metal hinge nodules.