iSmoothRun no GPS data

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by jcborden, May 27, 2018.

1. jcborden macrumors regular

i Used iSmoothRun on my s3 watch for the first time (not carrying my phone) for a run, all worked fine and synchronised with activities and then I synchronised with Strava. The problem is there is no route recorded, no GPS data, any idea what is wrong? I normally just use the exercise app which all works well..

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. Suunto macrumors newbie

Do you use HealthFit to import?

I went on a run 2 days ago, recorded run with standard Outdoor Run activity. Uploaded to Strava and saw that there was no map. Checked my run in Activity app and there was no map at the bottom. Couple hours later the map showed up randomly and I re-synced it with HealthKit to Strava. No idea what happened.

4. jcborden thread starter macrumors regular

I can see the map data and route in iSmoothRun but not in Activity in the iPhone. Yes used HealthFit to import but guess since the death isn’t in activity then there is nothing to sync. I’m now in touch with thyou developer so pay can help...

5. jcborden thread starter macrumors regular

Heard back from the developers and iSmoothRun doesn’t export the GPS data yet, although this feature is currently in beta so will be available soon!

6. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

iSR supports direct exporting to Strava. Why don't you just link iSR to your Strava account and export it from iSR?

I export from iSR to SmashRun, Garmin, and Nike (before Nike killed it) and GPS always carries over.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

iSmoothRun exports all GPS data to Strava, Garmin and other 3rd party sites so I'm not quite sure what the issue is? It does not seem to display in the Apple Activity screen but I literally never look at that anyhow so doesn't matter to me.

8. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

That's the issue that the OP is talking about. If you use iSR to track a GPS-run, the Health/Activity app does not see the GPS data. So when you use an app like HealthFit to export the data to other sites/services, there is no GPS data attached.

The solution is to link iSR directly to the external website/service and not use HealthFit.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Why would you pay for an additional app to export that data when iSR does it natively?

10. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

It's for people who use the stock Apple workout app. Apple workout doesn't support export to other services.

There's no need to use it if you're using iSR.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I understand that (I used the Apple Workout app and HealthFit for a while when iSR had some serious bugs). I guess I still don't understand the original question. If you use iSR, just export from it directly. If you use the Workout app, use HealthFit. I don't see how the two issues are related??

12. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I can't speak for the OP, but I get the feeling that he didn't realize that iSR can export to Strava directly. I'm guessing that he was use to the workflow with the stock Apple Workout app and has recently switched to iSR.

But I could be wrong.

In any case, it doesn't make sense to add HealthFit into this particular workflow. iSR can link directly to Strava.

13. jcborden thread starter macrumors regular

You are quite correct, my mistake for not realising iSR supported the direct export. However, I would still like to see all the data in one place, for example the activity app shows runs recorded with iSR but doesn’t show the route/map as the data isn’t available. Soon to be resolved by all accounts...

14. wbornstein macrumors newbie

I really like iSR, but running with the AW3 alone, I have found the maps to be unreliable. Typically when I run an out and back course, the back route is way off. Last weekend in Chicago running along the Lake, the return route had me running on the water. Is anyone else having better luck with this?
    Thanks.

15. mk313 macrumors 6502a

My maps work great. I run mostly in kind of rural areas with lots of trees, but no buildings. Not sure if that is impacting my results (or if buildings are impacting yours) but mine work great about 99% of the time. A few times a year (less than once a month), I will get a run where the map for some reason doesn’t record, but when it does, it’s been pretty reliable.

16. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I always run with my iPhone6 in my pocket. My GPS data is usually rock solid. Sometimes, if I'm running very slowly under big trees, iSR will go into auto pause, but other than that, the GPS is solid.

Maps are always pretty good, maybe tracks me within a few yards or so.

17. marliefrugal macrumors newbie

Can someone from iSmoothrun please explain and decipher their privacy policy, it seems rather suspect to me but I’m not a lawyer?