Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Why is it that the FaceTime icon isn't grayed out when on 3G and why does it give you the option no matter who you are talking to? I figured the two phones would somehow communicate and only if it detected another iPhone it would give you the option.

Are you guys seeing the same thing?

Mkz

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Manchester, UK
I don't see how the iPhone would know that the other phones were iPhones or not. And also Apple have set Facetime as the open standard so they don't want to limit it to just iPhones I guess.

fuzion

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2010
When you hit facetime it queries the other phone for information.. I'm sure facetime will work on 3g, but the carriers aren't allowing it right now.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
You guys aren't understanding me.

I'm saying that FaceTime is being allowed to initiate over 3G and I was expecting it to work only over wifi.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
As mentioned in some articles - that's because you can call someone and then switch to facetime. Once you switch to facetime - the call is essentially dropped (i.e. you are no longer connected via a service provider like ATT - but just wifi)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.