Carrier Isn't it better to buy a verizon iPhone than any other carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bugeyeblue, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

If the Verizon iPhone 5/5s/5c is unlocked out of the box, then it technically works with more carriers than with any other iPhone, right? If you buy an unlocked iPhone, it only works on gsm carriers, Verizon's iPhone works on gsm and verizon.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If you buy an AT&T unlocked phone you won't ever be able to use it on Verizon. I assume this is what the OP was getting at (buying Verizon leaves you with the option to go to any of the big three carriers in the US and then some).

4. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

it's if you can get a good signal where your at with the carrier you select, they are all pretty good..I have Verizon

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I was posting the link to the thread to confirm what he was thinking and what you posted.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Apologies. The "either way" through me for a loop. The thread had valuable info though. :)

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

This is pretty much the case for 5S and 5C but not as much for 5 (as there are differences in LTE support in those models).

8. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Reason I've not jumped to Verizon is I'd be forfeiting my AT&T unlimited (ie. 5gb/mo for $30 plan) and wouldn't be able to browse and be on a call at the same time...

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I don't think anyone here is talking about which carrier they're using, just which phone they'd be buying.

10. XcubusX macrumors newbie

No LTE

Just remember a Verizon iPhone is only GSM unlocked and not LTE unlocked. You can get Edge, 3G, and HSPA+. You will not be able to get LTE speeds.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

On a 5, yes, that's the case, on a 5S or 5C LTE will work fine on other carriers.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you have a source for that? on the 5 the Verizon model didn't have the same LTE bands as AT&T or T-Mobile, so it wouldn't work because of that, however with the 5S and 5C the Verizon phone has a chip that supports those bands and I've never heard of them restricting LTE usage on other carriers.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, LTE isn't restricted/locked, just basically what bands/frequencies are supported, and a Verizon 5S/5C supports the same ones that an AT&T or T-Mobile 5S/5C supports.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The only problem I had with using a verizon iphone 5 on AT&T was that I could not add an iphone data plan to it cause their system would not recognize the IMEI number as an iphone. I had to give them an IMEI of another AT&T iphone 5 I had on my account in order to add an iphone data plan to that line.
    Besides that the verizon 5C,5S and most likely the next iphone will have all LTE and GSM bands available to be used on any US GSM carrier and be able to be activated on Verizon if needed. Not on Sprint or any of its MVNO's though.

15. serega macrumors regular

It was same with my Verizon 5S when activating on ATT. They brought a new iPhone from their stock and entered that's phone IMEI. All LTE works great, faster then Verizon. One thing tough it doesn't show what kind of phone I use on my ATT page. It shows properly another iPhone 5 which is ATT one.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, pretty much.
    It's better for resale value to also have the verizon option I guess but personally I would never switch to verizon so I'm either going with a full price AT&T iphone or a factory unlocked one on the next iphone.

17. serega macrumors regular

I'm still planning to get Verizon iPhone 6, so I can have that option just in case.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not a bad idea.
    Thinking ahead it will probably sell in no time and for more money probably when you decide to get rid of it.

19. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Forgot about that... Good call.

----------

Didn't know that. This is why I started this thread.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's only true for the iphone 5.
    The 5C and 5S LTE is unlocked and works fine on AT&T and Tmobile and most US, canada and other carriers.

21. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

How do you kill the CDMA radio on a Verizon phone?

For example, with any GSM iPhone, you can pull the SIM and use it like an iPod touch w/ GPS.

I had a CDMA iPhone 4 (trash device someone gave me), and there was NO WAY to turn off the cellular radio. It would drain battery all the time (as it tried to maintain a cell signal, even with no service).

Middle of nowhere with a CDMA phone = battery drain. No good as a GPS device.

Middle of nowhere with GSM phone = pull SIM. Great as a GPS device.

22. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I would've turned on airplane mode to kill the cellular radio and then turned on WiFi after doing that.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Couldn't you just deactivate the cdma number that was on that phone and transfer that number to another phone thus leaving that iphone inactive?
    Or wost case just put it on airplane mode so its shuts off all radios, avoiding battery drain and then just turn on wifi only to use data as an ipod touch?

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup that's how it's basically done, airplane mode and then turn on WiFi, Bluetooth, and/or whatever else (aside from cellular) that might be needed.