Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shuttermom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Canada
Here's the story. I'm selling my iPhone locked to Rogers. Some dude is asking if my phone will work on fido's network. I called Fido and the guy says if you unlock the phone it can be used with any carrier that uses SIM cards. For a fee they (fido) would unlock my iPhone. He says that is legal. My question is: Is it really legal?

Shuttermom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Canada
Unlocking the phone is not
the same as jailbreaking it right?
Do you need to jailbreak to unlock? How
do these guys unlock the phone?

Nam Pla

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Thailand
You can jailbreak without unlocking, but you can't unlock without jailbreaking.

Still not illegal.

This should help answer your questions: http://www.hackthatphone.com/
I have an unlocked 3G. But it's not jailbroken. Or if it is, I don't know it! I've registered it, upgraded to 3.0, and downloaded free apps all within iTunes, with no problems. If it was indeed jailbroken and I didn't know it, how could I tell?

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
How can it be illegal?

I breaches your user agreement with Apple (as you are modifing the phones software. But not a crime.

If your phone is still under a fixed term carrier, depending on the wording of the contract it may breach your contract with your tel-co.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have an unlocked 3G. But it's not jailbroken. Or if it is, I don't know it! I've registered it, upgraded to 3.0, and downloaded free apps all within iTunes, with no problems. If it was indeed jailbroken and I didn't know it, how could I tell?

In some countries, like Italy and Hong Kong, you can buy "factory unlocked" iPhones. Those are officially unlocked by Apple -- hence "factory unlocked," and they are not jailbroken. However, if you buy a phone that is locked to a carrier (like AT&T in the US and O2 in UK), and want to unlock it, then you need to jailbreak first in order to unlock.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Yes congress passed the law and Obama signed it.

Apple has one hell of lobbying team in D.C.

:rolleyes:

Nam Pla

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Thailand
In some countries, like Italy and Hong Kong, you can buy "factory unlocked" iPhones. Those are officially unlocked by Apple -- hence "factory unlocked," and they are not jailbroken. However, if you buy a phone that is locked to a carrier (like AT&T in the US and O2 in UK), and want to unlock it, then you need to jailbreak first in order to unlock.
That must be the case with my phone then. The retailer I bought from is the official iPhone seller here in Thailand, and I could have bought the phone along with their one or two year monthly contract. But they offered it to me unlocked (they unlocked it right there when I bought it) to use with my present sim card. I also have a one year warranty with them.

Thx for that info. :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Here it's illegal NOT to unlock it and Apple sell them unlocked through the Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.