Isn't it illegal to unlock iPhones??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Shuttermom, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Shuttermom macrumors newbie

Here's the story. I'm selling my iPhone locked to Rogers. Some dude is asking if my phone will work on fido's network. I called Fido and the guy says if you unlock the phone it can be used with any carrier that uses SIM cards. For a fee they (fido) would unlock my iPhone. He says that is legal. My question is: Is it really legal?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

It is not illegal.

It may be against Apple policy, but they ain't the police.

3. Shuttermom thread starter macrumors newbie

Unlocking the phone is not
    the same as jailbreaking it right?
    Do you need to jailbreak to unlock? How
    do these guys unlock the phone?

4. Surely Guest

Surely

You can jailbreak without unlocking, but you can't unlock without jailbreaking.

Still not illegal.

This should help answer your questions: http://www.hackthatphone.com/

5. Nam Pla macrumors member

I have an unlocked 3G. But it's not jailbroken. Or if it is, I don't know it! I've registered it, upgraded to 3.0, and downloaded free apps all within iTunes, with no problems. If it was indeed jailbroken and I didn't know it, how could I tell?

6. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

How can it be illegal?

I breaches your user agreement with Apple (as you are modifing the phones software. But not a crime.

If your phone is still under a fixed term carrier, depending on the wording of the contract it may breach your contract with your tel-co.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In some countries, like Italy and Hong Kong, you can buy "factory unlocked" iPhones. Those are officially unlocked by Apple -- hence "factory unlocked," and they are not jailbroken. However, if you buy a phone that is locked to a carrier (like AT&T in the US and O2 in UK), and want to unlock it, then you need to jailbreak first in order to unlock.

8. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Yes congress passed the law and Obama signed it.

Apple has one hell of lobbying team in D.C.

:rolleyes:

9. Nam Pla macrumors member

That must be the case with my phone then. The retailer I bought from is the official iPhone seller here in Thailand, and I could have bought the phone along with their one or two year monthly contract. But they offered it to me unlocked (they unlocked it right there when I bought it) to use with my present sim card. I also have a one year warranty with them.

Thx for that info. :)

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Here it's illegal NOT to unlock it and Apple sell them unlocked through the Apple Store.