Isnt it time we have a dedicated Hackintosh Section?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Airforcekid, May 7, 2009.

?

Make a dedicated section?

1. YES

33.3%
  2. no

66.7%
  1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

The merged hackintosh thread is massive if we set it up like the iPhone/macbook air section the odds of people getting answered etc will improve.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't think knowingly supporting a quasi-illegal task as it's own subforum is very high on the site owner's list of things to do.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is a fine line to walk, especially as the interest grows

I know arn wants to maintain MRs solid reputation and standing
    And there are other resources available like insanelymac.com

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Isnt jailbreaking/spying* on apple quasi-illegal in a since if they havent shut us or insanlymac down yet I dont think they will.

*Publishing leaked photos etc.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No one here advocates spying. And the publishing of rumors isn't hurting Apple's bottom line per se. Nor is jailbreaking, people still need to buy the phone/pod.
    Hackintoshes, however, DO hurt Apple's bottom line.

I imagine Arn would like to keep himself and the site in good standing with Apple, don't you?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think even the hackintosh thread should exist, much less a separate board. But alas...

7. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

There is already a big dedicated forum to this, no point getting in to any potential legal shenanigans with Big Brother

8. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Jailbreaking has caused apple to lose a couple million easy via the app store. Besides 1/2 of the installers require a factory DVD I know some are bundled free however.

9. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I agree, there are other resources for this info. ;)

No need to tarnish MR's rep. :D

10. wheelhot macrumors 68000

Hackintosh is not helping in any way, buying OS X Install disk doesn't help Apple pay the bills, buying their computers is. Screw Psycrap! Oh yea and hackintosh already have an excellent forum on their own special site, don't need to spread the word about "cheaper macs" which will make Apple to be more serious about this issue, Psycrap made it worse enough.

11. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

We don't exist to help Apple. Screw Apple IMHO, they've got tons of cash in the bank and I don't have enough money to buy their extremely sexy products. :p

Usually the people who spread ignorant crap about the Hackintosh are the ones who have no idea what they're talking about.

12. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Since when has competition became a bad thing the more the better it will make Apple relize they need lower priced entry level models.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Anyone particular in mind?

Competition is a good thing. But since Linux and Windows are currently the main competitors, where to hackintoshes really fall in the scale of "competition"? Apple makes no money on hardware. And are the folks that build themselves a hackintosh really going to spend $129 to purchase a retail version of Mac OS X? No, they're more likely going to torrent it.

So Apple looses out twice. At the moment, to get Mac OS X on a new computer, you're going to spend a minimum of $600 or so. More often that figure is doubles (or tripled). Apple looses money big time.

I'll say it again... there's gray line of legality here for all things hackish; jailbreaking, hackintoshing, et al. I don't believe the current line is going to change anytime soon. After all, isn't this site a revenue supply for the owner and his family? Do you really want him to jeopardize that when such information can be found (easily) elsewhere?

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What does this have to do with having a hackintosh-specific forum on macrumors? There is an entire forum community devoted to it. Go post about your hackintosh there.

15. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Not you. :)

You raise some very good points. If it has any chance at all of harming MR's reputation, we shouldn't even consider a new section. I have no problem ethically with the whole Hackintosh thing, though.

16. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Considering it seems I'm one of the few here who isn't a Mac snob, I feel that there should be a separate board. I wouldn't use it, but there are many people here who run Hackintoshes and I don't see any problem with it, as long as they don't discuss illegal methods of procuring the software itself.

Anyway, the EULA provided with OS X is so ambiguous, that anyone could just stick a free Apple sticker onto the hardware and it becomes an "Apple labelled computer". They say nothing of Apple manufactured or assembled.

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Agreed, but that ambiguity allows us to argue the opposite way as well.
    Which is where we meet in the middle, and keep the status quo. :)

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Us" as well as Apple's lawyers, if it ever came to that.