Isn't jailbreaking good for apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by martyrk, Mar 12, 2008.

1. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

I mean c'mon, apple just as to sit back and watch their product flurish with people doing the advertising for them. I am one of 5 people (that I have seen) in my area that have an iphone and people want my phone, not only because of the phone but because of the apps that are on it. Granted I did have a sch-i760 was a neat phone that was hacked, but can I say that it was unbelievably slow!

I see Steve sitting at his desk hands behind his head and just snickering because he has all the apps that we are trying to get on a locked phone.

2. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

while you could argue that apple is selling more phones because people are using them with other carriers, you could also argue that apple isn't reaping their percentage of the voice/data plans that they do from at&t. i'm pretty sure you could call this a catch 22.

3. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

That's the real crux of the problem. I think I remember reading that Apple gets $15/month from AT&T for every iPhone on their service, and over the course of the 24 month contract they make almost 100% of the purchase price of the original hardware in those fees alone.

4. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

well unlocking is one thing, but I know a bunch of people that wouldnt have their iPhone without it being jailbroken and having a few key apps for them. Most of them came from Palms or WM devices and have their car mileage or finances or whatever on their and those are the apps they like most. So in that sense, the jailbreaking helped sell the device. In my case, I just jailbroke mine for the first time a few days ago. I havent found very much but maybe a game and a few neat apps but nothing I cant live without.

I would say that Apples locking down of the phone hurt their sales more than jailbreaking helped them. Of course the iPhone is selling like mad crazy so their locking down didnt really hurt it that much at all.