Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
The new iPad pro has a big bump in just one of four corners, sticking out. So you can’t lay it flat on a table.

Obviously only morons use iPads as cameras. But it seems doubly bizarre in the new iPad Pro which is targeted at people who want to draw and type on it (e.g lay it flat which you can’t I guess) and who surely already own a cellphone that functions much better as a casual camera.

I was gearing up to order one for work till i saw that, but I’ll just get the new Wacom instead.

Reactions: sonicrobby

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
The 10.5 inch iPad has a camera bump too. It should be totally expected on these new iPads. If you want good cameras that are still thin and light then you’re going to get a camera bump. If it bugs you that much get a thin case that is flush with the camera bump.

No no I would never get something with such a major design flaw. And I certainly would not buy a device that required an additional case just to function properly.

Also: there's no such thing as a good thin light camera. There are only adequate-for-causal-use cameras that fit that description. Which is my point. Why sacrifice so much design quality for a feature that's useless at best?

Right there in the launch video they show people illustrating on it with the Apple pen. But you kinda can't do that unless you hold it up away from the table surface. It would clink back and forth as the corners hit the table depending on where you applied pressure, all the while scratching the camera lens anyway.

Reactions: subjonas

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Millions dont mind. But I understand your opinion.

Well it's only been out for 3 days so we'll see if they 'don't mind'. I can't imagine millions have shipped yet. And three days certainly isn't enough time for people to decide if they like it or not. Plus who cares what millions think. I'm talking about functionality in design here. It's not about pleasing masses. It's about making excellent things.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The iPad has had a bump on it for years. At least since the 9.7" iPad Pro, if not before.

In practice it's not an issue. The device still sits comfortably flat, and the bump actually makes it easier to pick up. Using an iPad laying completely flat is actually not a very comfortable way to use it, IMO anyhow, so I've never once felt this to be a problem in practice.

The iPad makes an excellent document scanner, augmented reality viewer, excellent for businesses to document all kinds of things via the camera. Having a high quality camera on-board has plenty of legitimate uses.

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
Well it's only been out for 3 days so we'll see if they 'don't mind'. I can't imagine millions have shipped yet. And three days certainly isn't enough time for people to decide if they like it or not. Plus who cares what millions think. I'm talking about functionality in design here. It's not about pleasing masses. It's about making excellent things.
This is not the first model with a bump. My 9.7 iPP has a bump. Millions are fine with the bump and millions more to come.

I would take one without a bump.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I'd rather not have a front facing camera on a tablet. Waste of time and money. I never use them.

Reactions: yegon

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
the bump is actually one of the reasons (not the main one) that I've held onto my air 2 for so long - the last model without a camera bump!

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I have to admit, I have had 7 iPads and have never used the rear camera ever. I use the front facing one for Skype and FaceTime, but I use my camera or Sony mirrorless camera if I want to take a picture. I am not a fan of the bump, but with the flat sides of the new model, it will make it a bit easier to pick up.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Been there for several iPads now as well as iPhones, doesn't seem to be an issue for most. I have a feeling this thread is something other than it appears to be. Hopefully gets shut down quickly.
You can’t be serious.? The bump is hideous, it’s borderline criminal. Jobs would have never allowed it, and I wish I could file it off and lay it flat. I hate it before it even gets here

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I’m one of those who would prefer a slightly thicker device and no camera bump, whether that’s iPad or iPhone.

But it doesn’t stop me buying them. In the grand scheme of things it’s a small compromise to make.

Thankfully though, it’s not the issue on the iPads the way it is (for me) with iPhones. Thanks to the sheer size of the iPad it doesn’t wobble about and do that damned annoying tap-tap-thunk sound on my desk the same way my X does when I lay it “flat”.

Unfortunately Apple being Apple, they aren’t going to increase the thickness of a device just to compensate for the camera. So we either suck it up, or wait until camera tech improves to the point where it’s thin enough for no bumps. Of course by then the iPad will probably be 4.3mm thin :D

Reactions: bob24

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
It’s not a design *flaw* as it is a very deliberate choice and the device works as expected by the designer.

But it does bother me and I would call it a bad design compromise.

I like using my devices without cases (only have a Smart Cover on my 9.7 pro) and the camera bump is an annoyance in that scenario.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
the bump is actually one of the reasons (not the main one) that I've held onto my air 2 for so long - the last model without a camera bump!

12.9 iPads didn’t have a silly bump until now either and I’m guessing the 2018 iPad is bump-free too.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
most people will want a smart folio anyway, to get the kickstand function. it likely covers the bump too.

if they made the device thicker to avoid the bump, it would be even thicker with the folio.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Given that the iPad serves absolutely no practical purpose for drawing or illustrating when lying completely flat with no elevation at all, this is a non-issue just like it has been for years.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I’ve used my 2017 12.9” iPad Pro with a bumped out camera while laying flat on a desk for writing many many times and it hasn’t been an issue.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Anyone who has ever owned an iPad is used to the bump being their. It is only YOU that just discovered it so you could troll this thread.
[doublepost=1541334319][/doublepost]
You can’t be serious.? The bump is hideous, it’s borderline criminal. Jobs would have never allowed it, and I wish I could file it off and lay it flat. I hate it before it even gets here

LOL! We will put you down as a maybe on the bump! Criminal? LOL!
[doublepost=1541334405][/doublepost]
it appears the original poster never used apple products the bump is nothing

Nope, you are right. Hope he enjoys that Wacom.

Reactions: profets and yegon

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Given that the iPad serves absolutely no practical purpose for drawing or illustrating when lying completely flat with no elevation at all, this is a non-issue just like it has been for years.

Pretty sure people draw all the time putting it down on flat surfaces like tables. Just like they have always done. Absolutes and generalisations don’t help.

Reactions: subjonas and bob24

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

Huh? I only draw with my iPad laying completely flat on a desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.