Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saskat

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2017
When it comes to files, the app-silo approach is very bad. Getting files in and out of apps introduce a lot of stress.

- Some apps like Documents have some kind of file share protocol enabled. Problem, you cannot run those apps for longer periods of time in background (haha, yes yes iToy is not PRO at all).

- AirDrop needs an active approval for transfer, so you cannot do it unattended, just like on ANY regular computer with network shares.

I have tried Files Folder, Documents, File Explorer, Briefcase, Transfer and a few other file transferring/sharing apps, as well as AirDrop. So far Documents is my favorite.

As you said they all kind of work if I only needed to transfer a few files here and there, fully attended.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
So basically you could also work with Pen and Paper. Your job does not need advanced software. Not "Pro" at all.

Sure, I could write letters all day and mail them to the rest of my network, then start writing some reports and charts, doing the math myself with an abacus, then receiving those letters back, adding my notes, and sending them back. Seems really efficient buddy. Probably one of the most short sighted comments I’ve seen on here. Honestly, call it a toy, don’t call it pro, I don’t care at all. If my company wants to pay me three figures for playing with a toy all day, cool by me. Let me guess, you’re a real pro because you need to edit videos or pictures. The only real meaningful work out there.

Reactions: sparksd

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Isn't the iPad Really Just A Toy Still?

That would depend on how one uses it. Same thing can be said about a smartphone or a computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6803390

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Sure, I could write letters all day and mail them to the rest of my network, then start writing some reports and charts, doing the math myself with an abacus, then receiving those letters back, adding my notes, and sending them back. Seems really efficient buddy. Probably one of the most short sighted comments I’ve seen on here. Honestly, call it a toy, don’t call it pro, I don’t care at all. If my company wants to pay me three figures for playing with a toy all day, cool by me. Let me guess, you’re a real pro because you need to edit videos or pictures. The only real meaningful work out there.

But you made the point yourself, while you can do somethings on the iPad its just "not as efficient" in many cases as a desktop or laptop.
Pro is a model within the range of devices for apple that simply puts means it's "their" top of the range model, nothing else.

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany

I did not want to insult you and/or your work.

I am not working with photo/video editing. I am developing software and services.

Of course I could to the same on the iPad. But at the end it would just be a terminal to hop on a REAL computer.

My pen and paper example just visualized, that the iPad lacks many of the capabilities of a real computer.

So why not a Notebook/Surface where you have both worlds: portabilitiy, processing power, flexibility and better battery performance?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
But you made the point yourself, while you can do somethings on the iPad its just "not as efficient" in many cases as a desktop or laptop.
Pro is a model within the range of devices for apple that simply puts means it's "their" top of the range model, nothing else.

I didn’t say that at all. I would say sometimes you need to do things differently on an iPad than you would on a traditional computer, but it doesn’t make it any less efficient. And yes, I agree, it’s just marketing. That doesn’t mean the iPad can’t be used for “pro” work. I do it every day.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Depends on the user. I think it's great many have used the iPad Pro as their daily driver. I am beginning to use it for more than drawing and web surfing, so I am curious to see just how much more it may help me in ways beyond stress relief. I will continue to use a desktop Mac for my heavy lifting and most tasks, but I respect that others can use their iPad Pros for a lot more than just content consumption and entertainment.

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I did not want to insult you and/or your work.

I am not working with photo/video editing. I am developing software and services.

Of course I could to the same on the iPad. But at the end it would just be a terminal to hop on a REAL computer.

My pen and paper example just visualized, that the iPad lacks many of the capabilities of a real computer.

So why not a Notebook/Surface where you have both worlds: portabilitiy, processing power, flexibility and better battery performance?

I guess if you aren’t a developer, graphic designer, or video/photo editor, you don’t have a real career. Those are the only types of people that are holding onto the legacy idea that an iPad can’t do “pro” work. Why not a notebook? Speed, portability, easy to share with team members, more cost efficient overall and for software, much larger variety of software available, better for media consumption, better battery life, better security, and better privacy. iOS is better than macOS in a lot of ways.

Reactions: iPadDad

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I didn’t say that at all. I would say sometimes you need to do things differently on an iPad than you would on a traditional computer, but it doesn’t make it any less efficient. And yes, I agree, it’s just marketing. That doesn’t mean the iPad can’t be used for “pro” work. I do it every day.

What is pro work? People keep throwing that word around as a crutch for their preference.
but its clear for some "workflows" you are pushed in one direction.

You can do most things with a pen and paper as you described above - letters, memo, whatever - it's the level of efficiency the different devices can bring to those tasks and its a variable for many.. Somethings work better for the majority. It's more efficient in most cases for example for an a iPad on an aircraft in economy than a laptop to watch a film... It's more efficient to use your phone for some tasks...

I guess if you aren’t a developer, graphic designer, or video/photo editor, you don’t have a real career. Those are the only types of people that are holding onto the legacy idea that an iPad can’t do “pro” work. Why not a notebook? Speed, portability, easy to share with team members, more cost efficient overall and for software, much larger variety of software available, better for media consumption, better battery life, better security, and better privacy. iOS is better than macOS in a lot of ways.

We covered this before - media consumption at work as a professional? I'll leave you to reflect on that one.
Battery - depends on workflow
Security - no, go and look at that one.

iPad is better for media consumption in most cases due to portability, hence i guess why people are saying its not "pro" work as they see it as a consumption device first..

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
What is pro work? People keep throwing that word around as a crutch for their preference.

You can do most things with a pen and paper as you described above - letters, memo, whatever - it's the level of efficiency the different devices can bring to those tasks and its a variable for many.. something work better for the majority. It's more efficient in most cases for example to a iPad on an aircraft in economy than a laptop to watch a file... its more efficient to use your phone for some tasks...
+1 - for my work, which is overwhelmingly writing based, I don’t need a lot of power, honestly an iPad could probably do fine, but I still find it a PITA compared to a Mac due to the software and to a certain extent the hardware.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

You can do most things with a pen and paper as you described above - letters, memo, whatever - it's the level of efficiency the different devices can bring to those tasks and its a variable for many.. something work better for the majority. It's more efficient in most cases for example to a iPad on an aircraft in economy than a laptop to watch a file... its more efficient to use your phone for some tasks...

That’s why I put it in quotes. Those are not my words. Any task that you get paid for is work in my eyes. Use the best tool for the task. I choose to use an iPad for work and personal use. It is much better for ME.

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
That’s why I put it in quotes. Those are not my words. Any task that you get paid for is work in my eyes. Use the best tool for the task. I choose to use an iPad for work and personal use. It is much better for ME.

I am insolent that your colleagues (without ipad) are working more efficiently. They create higher productivity.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I am insolent that your colleagues (without ipad) are working more efficiently. They create higher productivity.

Depends on the job. I manage a team of people for a logistics brokerage. My job focuses on communication, people management and development, and high level reporting. Someone doing the same thing using a laptop isn’t more efficient than me in any way.

Last edited:
Reactions: iPadDad

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Depends on the job. I manage a team of people for a logistics brokerage. My job focus on communication, people management and development, and high level reporting. Someone doing the same thing using a laptop isn’t more efficient than me in any way.

Completely agree. Although I do need a full fledged computer for my work but typically my work also entails doing a lot of things that I can use an iPad for and that’s what I use when I don’t need to use the laptop. Especially when I’m out and about. If it comes to me needing access to my laptop at that point I just remote into it for that important bit of work which couldn’t wait until I get to it.

Reactions: DNichter

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
People who argue against iPads as computers: If it isn’t one for me, it isn’t one for anyone.

Most people who argue for them: It depends on your task, but it works for me. You should look into it.

Interesting.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Remember, the iPhone is just as much a "computer" as the iPad.. the only difference being size of screen.

Very true and should be used as such. I think most people don’t even know the potential of their devices anyway.

In fact, if the iPhone had the ability to transform into an iPad when a monitor is detected then I’d probably not even buy an iPad anymore.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
I came across this great video by a mobile video journalist. He explains how he is able to use the iPad to import and edit his video along with audio. Its smaller and lighter than the laptops that he previously used. Less and lighter equipment means that he is more nimble and quicker to the story.

Reactions: DNichter

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Remember, the iPhone is just as much a "computer" as the iPad.. the only difference being size of screen.

Amazing. I wasn’t aware that my iPhone could have multiple apps on the screen at the same time, had a connector for a keyboard, and could do digital art via one of the most precise styluses in the world. Guess I must not be using my iPhone correctly.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

Absolutely. Working with a much bigger screen drastically improves productivity. I handle many work tasks on the road from my iPhone X.
[doublepost=1515962559][/doublepost]People who think an iPad can’t do real work are handling the types of tasks that have nothing to do with me. In my line of work, I consider them operational tasks. I am more so reviewing performance of those operational tasks, making large scale adjustments, and communicating with directors and VP’s on how to deploy said tasks into the company. For me, I certainly hope to never have to go back to using a traditional computer for work. I’d consider it a step back. Keep your laptops, I don’t need them.

Last edited:

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
If it's so good - why does he have two monitors, a keyboard and a desk ;)
Just because you could, doesn't mean you will.. and clearly he only uses the iPad when its the "only" option.

Strange people above even call out screen size, size clearly is a link to productivity then? - remind me where i find a 32" iPad? or iPhone? :D
Same people call out multiple apps on the screen at once... golden.o_O

Amazing. I wasn’t aware that my iPhone could have multiple apps on the screen at the same time, had a connector for a keyboard, and could do digital art via one of the most precise styluses in the world. Guess I must not be using my iPhone correctly.

I'll help you out...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/surface/devices/surface-studio/overview

"Whats a computer"? :D:D:D

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If it's so good - why does he have two monitors, a keyboard and a desk ;)
Just because you could, doesn't mean you will.. and clearly he only uses the iPad when its the "only" option.

Strange people above even call out screen size, size clearly is a link to productivity then? - remind me where i find a 32" iPad? or iPhone? :D
Same people call out multiple apps on the screen at once... golden.o_O

I'll help you out...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/surface/devices/surface-studio/overview

"Whats a computer"? :D:D:D

Yeah, the Surface Studio is an amazing computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.