Isn't Wifi supposed to stay on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlondeBuddhist, Jun 26, 2010.

1. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I swear the first night I had the new phone it did. Then today I notice it showing Edge.

Any ideas?

2. LethalUK macrumors member

Mine doesn't seem to either. :confused:

Always shows the Edge/3G data symbols when woken from sleep.

3. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Hmmm. I wonder if you have to have an app running on the wifi for it to stay on (EPSN radio, etc). I thought for sure I heard that it was supposed too though. Not a biggie, just the 1 thing I noticed.

Blonde Buddhist

4. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

When you put the iPhone to sleep, it turns the WiFi off to conserve the battery. When you awake it, it should turn back on and automatically reconnect with the network.

6. daver.cl macrumors member

This feature only works with the iPod touch if I'm not mistaken.

7. lomafor macrumors member

lomafor

If u don't have wifi needed app running while sleep, what is the point of keeping wifi on?

8. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I notice the same thing. 3G signal jumping to wifi after coming out of sleep. Not that I really care, but I see it.

9. ianray macrumors 6502

Logs from Airport Utility for my 3GS.

Push Notifications off, Push email off, no Apps running. Wake iPhone from sleep by pressing home button, then wait for screen to shut off (~7 seconds). Wi-Fi disconnects after ~20 seconds.

Same scenario, but with Push Notifications ON. After ~5 minutes I unlocked the phone, turned Push Notifications off, and relocked the phone.

At least in my testing Wi-Fi only stays on if it is being used (iPhone 3GS, iOS 4). Hopefully this information is useful to someone :)

10. bripab007 macrumors 6502

It says right on their website that this is a feature for iPod Touch so that it can stay on for wi-fi VOIP calls and push notifications.

On the iPhone, this has been possible for quite some time on a per-app basis, not a global setting. I think I have at least two apps I've been using since 3.x.x that do this.

11. Hollow Man macrumors regular

So if it's in sleep mode, and we get a beep indicating an email got pushed, that means it used cellular service, and is going against the data plan? For those of us that are new and are stuck with either 200 MB or 2 GB, that's something to keep in mind.

-HM

12. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

This is kind of a big issue as I see it. I just installed WiFi today (yeah i know...way behind the times right?) and I was hoping WiFi would just stay on... unfortunately I have to put in my password every time it goes on standby now.

I'm using Mobile Air Mouse and it doesn't keep WiFi on.