Iso 8.0.0????

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kf9vh, Oct 27, 2013.

1. kf9vh macrumors newbie

kf9vh

Wondering if as more software updates come out will it render older Ipads (2&3) useless.

I have an Ipad 3 and while it seems to be working fairly well it is not as responsive as it once was. Best Buy is giving up to $200 on a trade in and I am considering taking the hit and getting a new mini 2. I am disappointed in the service life of the Ipad 3.

Anyone else thinking the same?

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Thinking that iOS 8 will slow down older hardware? Probably. iOS has a history of doing that.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

4. g35 macrumors 6502a

If I had to guess based on Apple's previous history I would say that the iPad 3 will not get iOS 8. Usually the devices that are 'overpowered' compared to their predecessor get lots of iOS updates and the one before that gets relatively few.

eg. the 3GS was a huge jump over the 3G in speed, and it got iOS 3, 4, 5, 6. The 3G got 3 and 4 but 5 was a disaster.

The 4S was a huge jump over the 4 and got iOS 5, 6, 7, and probably 8 because 7 is still smooth on it. The 4 got 4, 5, 6 and 7 but 6 and 7 are much slower than 5 was.

The iPad 2 was a huge jump over the original and got iOS 5, 6, and 7, but that's probably it. The original got 4 and 5 but 5 was a disaster on it.

I suspect that the iPad 3, considering how slow it is on iOS 7, will not progress past iOS 7.

Just my guess