Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mafio

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Reading
Hello guys,

I’m trying to burn a backup file .iso with Toast (also have tried with the OSX utility); unfortunately my console doesn’t recognise the disk. If I burn the same file with alcohol 120% it works just fine. Do you have any suggestion?

I have just made the switch!!! Love it…

Thanks in advance.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
I have no experience with burning disks for consoles but can say that using the Disk Utility to burn disks from an ISO file has worked fine for me in the past. The disks that I have burnt are things like Linux and the recent Windows Vista RC1 so I needed to be sure that the disks created were bootable, which they were.

The only thing that I can think of is that the ISO file you have is incorrect. Are you able to find out what the MD5 checksum of the original ISO file was? When I downloaded my first copy of Windows Vista RC1 the file I received had an incorrect MD5 checksum (Microsoft indicated the correct value on their website for me to check) and so I had to download the file again. If you know the MD5 checksum of the file you downloaded then you can check it by doing the following:

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
2. Into the Terminal window that opens type "openssh md5 ", without quotes of course
3. Drag and drop the downloaded ISO file into the Terminal window so that the path to the file is added to the line that you already entered
4. Press enter and wait a while while the MD5 checksum of the file you have is calculated (can take a few minutes)

If this value matches with the expect checksum value and you still can't burn a disk that is recognised by your console then I'm out of ideas...

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
Did you mount the image before burning it?

It may be an image that needs to be burned unmounted (such as bootable OS X disk images can be), but you will need to find out whether mounting the image is harmful to it (what I mean is, some of the OS X images would be useless if ever mounted - they had to be burned straight to disk and then mounted as read only from there).

Try DU again, but just selecting the image from the dialog box that will pop up when you hit the Burn button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.