Iso, Dmg Questions?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by veo321, Jul 12, 2009.

1. veo321 macrumors regular

veo321

Ok, Well I am curious I have a macbook and want to convert a .dmg to .iso I Have found a program called dmg2iso which I am using, but I'm curious if I convert the file will it run on Windows?, because Sims 3 is a .iso which runs on both PC and Mac. :confused:
    Thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

An iso is just an image of a disc. A DMG is an image of a disc for Mac. The underlying software/data stored on the image must still be capable of running on the platform, so simply by converting a DMG to and iso will not make program run in Windows, it will simply allow your Windows iso reader to mount the image like a disc.

TEG

3. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Basically yes, it will make it work on windows. Converting the image from .dmg to .iso will not change the contents of the disc, and it will work on windows.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

If the dmg only contains the mac version, it's not going to run on windows. Why would a .dmg contain windows code anyway? Is it a legit .dmg or a pirated copy downloaded?

5. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

use disk utility.

mount the .dmg, open disk utility, click on your image and then file - new - disk image from ....

save it as a cd/dvd master. When it has been made just change the file extension to .iso and it works perfect

6. greenday123 macrumors 6502

why wouldn't it work? A .dmg is an image of the whole disc right? so it should stilll work?

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If the contents of the .dmg are Mac OS X only, making it an ISO won't help it work in a Windows environment.

It'll only let you extract/burn the .iso as a functional CD/DVD

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I just mounted my Sims3.dmg which I got from GameTree and it only has the OS X installer. You might check the same if you plan on installing it onto a windows machine.

9. veo321 thread starter macrumors regular

veo321

Ok Thanks

Ok Thanks Guys, So I guess the bottom line is that it will load however it is incompatible when using a program made for mac for example.....Toast Titanium 10. Well maybe some day a genius hacker will find a way untill then we will just have to deal with what we have, thanks for all the feedback!!! :)

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

You did check by showing hidden files right? They have it so that only the Mac installer shows up on a Mac operating system and only the Windows installer shows up on a Windows PC. If you enable to show hidden files you can see lots more files related to Windows around the Mac installer.

If you use Toast Titanium 10, it will burn anything you want to disc, as several formats. If you burn an audio disc with .mp3 files, it will play in any working CD player. If you burn an MP3 disc with .mp3 files, it will play in any working MP3 CD player. If you burn a Mac program installer to a disc, it will install on any compatible Mac with the correct OS and Hardware. If you burn a Windows installer to a disc, it will install on Windows because it's the insides of the disc that's important, not what you burn it with. I think Macs are much more compatible with Windows than you are aware.

The Sims 3 install disk is for both Windows and Mac, so they put both the installers on there. There are not seperate versions of the disc, so unless you pirated a bad copy you should have an install disk for both Windows and Mac.

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Doh! You're right. I just peeked at the mounted image in /Volumes/Sims3 via Terminal and everything is there!

Pesky hidden things.

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I've always used this terminal code to convert .dmg to .iso.

Code:
     hdiutil convert /path/to/filename.dmg -format UDTO -o /path/to/filename.iso