iso download issues

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mR mron, Aug 21, 2010.

1. mR mron macrumors newbie

I went on microsoft.com today and downloaded the student discount version of Windows 7 Professional because I am a student. I got it from their store that they linked me to called digitalriver.com. I paid for the software and then got two options to download it with, a .exe and a .iso. I am using parallels to put windows 7 on my mac, so you can use disk images. My problem is that when I click on the download .iso, it downloads on my mac as a -ISO.exe and when I open it, its all this text encoding in the TextEdit app. I really need help on what to do next so I can open it in parallels as a disk image (so it has to be a .iso in order for it to open). Any solutions?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How big is it? Can you open Terminal.app and type
    Code:
    file <FILENAME>
    where <FILENAME> is the name of your .iso.exe file and report back what it says.

If it is an EXE it will report back something like: PE32+ executable for MS Windows (GUI) Mono/.Net assembly

Otherwise it will say something like: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data

B

3. mR mron thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing in that terminal program but I did manage to get this out of it. Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 32 Bit Disk Kit. I don't know if that's any help at all, but thats what I came up with.

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Is it the actual ISO? How big is the file? I think it lets you only download a downloader for the ISO file. You need to run the exe on a windows computer. This will then download the actual ISO file.

5. mR mron thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya its only 436 KB so I guess that is the deal. I'll give that a shot and see what I can come up with.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. mR mron thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for that link that cleared things up. I just used my access code for it. Thanks again!