ISO File: Create shortcut, Install in user's application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danielsds, Jun 23, 2009.

1. danielsds macrumors newbie

Hi,

Introduction

I have very little experience in Mac OS. I'm in need to create an ISO file which will contain an .NET application, a set of files and folders/subfolders. I will create this ISO file from a Windows box and make it available for download for Mac users.

Now, the installation (I'm not sure whether I can use this word. Anyway that's what I have to achieve in Mac) of ISO can be done by two types of users - Admin users, non-admin users.

Things to achieve

1. When admin installs the ISO, it will be installed on a folder wherein all users have access in. Whereas, when a non-admin installs, it should be installed on a folder where this user only have permission on. How is this possible?

2. When the ISO is installed, I have to create a shortcut to the .net aplication. If admin installs, this shortcut should be available for all users. But, if non-admin user installs, the shortcut will be available for that user only. How is this possible?

Please help me

Ta
    Daniel

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, I do hope you realize that .NET applications won't run on the Mac OS out of the box. They'll need the Mono framework, at the very least, and even then it's not guaranteed to work perfectly.

Regarding your install question, do you have a Mac handy? If you do, then create the installer on the Mac, using the PackageMaker tool that is a part of Xcode, Apple's developer tool set - it handles details like this for you.

3. danielsds thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. We are planning to execute the .net app using Mono framework.

Regarding the PackageMaker, does this mean that to prepare the package I have to use a Mac machine? Is there any other way to create the package in Windows OS, as my website is deployed in a Windows box?

Thanks
    Daniel