ISO help from Australian mac users

Discussion in 'iMac' started by raythepa, Jul 9, 2011.

1. raythepa macrumors member

Hey there, I've searched the threads but not finding quite what I'm looking for.

Currently live in USA and moving to QLD, AU in about a month.

Can I take my iMac and 1) just by a new power cord or an adapter for it to work and 2) can I do the same for my macbook?

I expect that DVDs sold in AU will NOT work in either of these machines, is that right?

Anything else I should be thinking about?

thx (and don't feel like you have to be an Aussie to chime in)

2. Smacky macrumors 6502

We use 240V in Australia, I think US uses 110V? So you cant just use an adapter, you need a transformer or something, unless theres a 240V switch in your appliance
    And yes, DVDs are region 4 here, US is region 1

3. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Very easy- call apple tech support. I'm SURE they've heard these questions before and have all the answers. While MR has tons of good information and intelligent people, you should go straight to Apple for these questions.

4. Chundles, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The power supplies for Macs are 110-240 so it will work here just fine, you'll just need to get a plug adapter.

The DVDs will work but you'll be locked to whatever your 5th region change is. THEN your DVDs won't work.

5. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I believe it 100v to 240v AC. I'd like to confirm this but i can't see small grey writing on the white background. Remember though most places in Australia still don't have electricity or anything resembling civilisation.

With your DVDs, either rip them to H264 with Handbrake+VLC or rip them to TS file format with one of the many ripping apps and sell the originals before you leave.

You didn't say where in the US you are from. If you from the southern states and not one of them freedom hating liberals you'll fit right in. Don't forget the flannies and uggs.

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

All Macs are international for power, you find this in the specifications Apple publishes, also you can simply look in your owners manual. Go to Apple.com, click Support then click Tech Specs and find your system by entering the serial number. All you will need is a plug adapter. It's really that simple!

As for the DVD's your US DVD's will work however if you start getting Aussi DVDs this is a different region and I believe OS X will only allow 1 region.

7. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Yeah you will be region locked. But that is due to freedom hating liberals putting limits on your DVD drive. lol.. Er.. there are ways around it though, but that's something best researched out in the wider internets. HandBrake is a great tool though.