ISO to USB

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Wildy, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Wildy macrumors 6502

After helping a guy in another thread, I figured I should finally take the plunge and get OS X back onto my PB G4. I lent my Leopard disk to a friend in the States and will probably not be seeing it back any time soon, thankfully I made a backup of the disk (using dd before I sent it. I don't have any dual-layer DVDs lying around and would prefer to use a USB drive instead, but am having problems getting a bootable drive.

I tried a straight up dd, but it won't boot, I guess because it was taken from a DVD. Is there anything else I need to consider now that I'm not working with the traditional DOS MBR? This method works fine with all Linux images. The ISO format is ISO 9660.

tl;dr How to get Leopard ISO onto USB drive. Have Linux and Windows machines available.

2. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

If you made the backup on a windows or Linux machine, you're screwed buddy. Sorry.

OS X installers have all sorts of trickery to hide stuff on those OSes. Your best bet? Hit the Internet looking for a copy.

If you're going to pirate it, I don't want to hear about it. But it's an option. I'm going to stop talking now before I get into trouble.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Try calling apple? they might still have some recovery install disks available for sale.

or try eBay

4. Wildy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestions. Well I've got some disks on order, so if all else fails I'll just burn it and use the optical drive.