isolating harddrive noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Suanmiao, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Suanmiao, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

Suanmiao macrumors member

upgraded the harddrive of my mid 2010 mbp!
    I just have this thought of putting a thin foam padding between the harddrive and the palm rest might actually get rid of most of the harddrive noise. Has this ever been done by anyone here in the forum before?
    I don't think it'll cause over heating and there is certainly space for a thin padding.

Attached Files:

2. zincaloy macrumors newbie

There would be no heat issues to be concerned about. But for good measure could you indicate the specs of your new hard drive.

I wonder how effective this will be. The idea is that the hard disk is suspended and only held by rubber material which should isolate the vibrations already. You can however try it and see how it goes, might be the solution you are looking for.

I have the same hard disk noise issue with my current MBP2011, but my previous MBP2011 which got exchanged due to performance problems did not which makes me think (and others proved by putting an SSD in) the HDD itself is the problem.

I will try it too this weekend, see how it goes.

3. Suanmiao thread starter macrumors member

I went for a 500G WD scorpio blue, It's pretty quite as is and vibration free, but my office is extremely quite during the day and I'd love to get rid of the wavy sound if I could.
    what would be a good insolation material besides foam that's thin enough to put in there~~?

4. zincaloy macrumors newbie

I tried the original, a brand new 500GB, 5200RPM Samsung disk, and the old 320GB, 7200RPM disk from my old macbook but all seem to resonate on the case.

I used the old isolation from my macbook to completely isolate it, but it won't go away. The only option to completely silence the harddisk is to buy an SSD it seems.