ISP Advice Verizon DSL or Comcast Roadrunner

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mashinhead, Jan 30, 2011.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

So i moved to SoCal, LA and i need to get internet. I wanted to get Verizon FiOS but that doesn't actually be something you're able to actually get. So my choices are Time Warner's road runner which promises FiOs speeds. However through me research they have bad customer service and they don't actually always achieve their advertised speeds.

The other option is Verizon DSL and wait it out for FiOS which could take years. Would obviously like the highest speed but I don't want a bad overall experience and would love some advice especially if you subscribe to these services. Thanks.

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I'm interested in hearing from Verizon internet users. They keep confusing me with their use of terms like "megs per second" without noting megabits or megabytes. Big difference. Mb = megabits, MB = megabytes (8 bits per byte - I think).

My stats on a wireless connection to Comcast:

Dale

Attached Files:

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Are you seriously thinking about going with Verizon because you think their customer service will be better? Uh.... wrong. If you want high speed you should go with RoadRunner. Verizon's customer service is going to be just as bad.

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

No complaints with Comcast service here. None at all. My wife had difficulties with a security package installation and called CS. A gal in India spent over an hour walking her through the procedure, including doing a remote install of the software (Norton AV). When the install dragged on with the G4 laptop, the CS gal used that remote session to take my wife on a tour of India via Google Images. I have a major issue with their pricing, but not CS.

Dale

5. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes I am and here's why: I'm signing a contract for a year and I don't want to be trapped in a ****** situation. The other issue is that from what I've read roadrunner doesnt actually achieve these speeds which I'd like to find out. And he final thing is that I'm staying temporarily in a place that uses this service and it suck. I don't know what tier it is or if it is affected by others using the same connect but the last thing I want is to be locked into a contract or be in a bad situation because I was seduced by numbers on a webpage

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're signing a year-long contract, but don't want to sign a contract? You're going to have to make a decision about that.

DSL won't likely achieve it's advertised speeds either, FYI.

You also don't know how many users are on your local network, which can drastically affect throughput.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I live in LA. For maybe 10 years I had Verizon DSL until I switched to Time Warner last Fall. I was worried about the customer service issue too, but went ahead with the switch.

My connection speeds are SO MUCH FASTER than when I had Verizon DSL. So far, nothing has come up that's required customer service.

8. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Um no. What I am saying is that I don't want to be stuck in a year long contract with a bad ISP. Not that I don't want to sign a year long contract, there is no such option

Yes i know. Thats what I wrote.