Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Please excuse me if this is on the wrong section, I looked for a networking related forum on here and could find one.

Basically I need help.
I know nothing about networks whatsoever.

I have a cable network, hooked up directly to my mac, with no router or anything in-between (just the cable).

Now, technically my ISP is meant to be super fast (Telia Sweden) since its a fibre line and meant to be a 100mbs connection. Over the past few months I have been having major issues as I use my mac to watch live streaming TV, and have started to get constant buffing issues. The speeds almost appear to be throttled on and off in a irregular pulsating manner.

So if I go to youtube I can be watching a video, and then it stalls for numerous amount of time as it needs to load more content half way through, but no data seems to be coming in and then it starts again after 30 seconds etc.

Or I am watching a live broadcast stream such as BBC iPlayer and again it works flawlessly and then all of a sudden it is constantly buffering and unwatchable.

Now obviously I have contacted my ISP and they have pinged my IP etc, and claim everything is perfect, but since the speeds have dropped to a terrible rate and I cant watch live TV anymore or other streaming services without interruption I am getting somewhat frustrated.

Is there any program available for the mac that allows me to constantly monitor the bandwidth coming in? So that if I was to go back to my ISP and show them the connection keeps dropping of the bandwidth speed is constantly fluctuating to unacceptable amounts they may be able to fix it. (as it may even be a faulty connection to my apartment) I have spoken to many other people in my building and they are all happy with their speeds so it seems a little strange.

Any ideas?

Cheers

DenisK

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2008
Any ideas?

Cheers

Are you certain no one else is using your bandwidth? Is your imac sharing the internet with your other devices, if so, is this a secure share or an open one?

I assume its the white imac that gets the ethernet cable, are you certain it has enough juice for vids?

Just throwing some ideas, not sure of a constant way to monitor your bandwith.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Are you certain no one else is using your bandwidth? Is your imac sharing the internet with your other devices, if so, is this a secure share or an open one?

I assume its the white imac that gets the ethernet cable, are you certain it has enough juice for vids?

Just throwing some ideas, not sure of a constant way to monitor your bandwith.

The 24" iMac should be fine for video, its a C2D based Mac, so it should handle it fine (as a point of reference, I have a 17" Intel iMac 2006 CD kicking around and it handled HD Video just fine, both playing and editing).

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Cheers for the responses.
I have tried all my macs on the same cable with the same issues (mac mini, imac, mba) etc .... all with sharing off.

1 issue I thought it could be was the use of a vpn I sometimes use, but even with this switched off I can still get very fluctuating speeds. Even to websites located geographically very close to me (such as swedish based servers from my swedish isp)

So does anyone know of a monitoring service that can record my speeds?

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
One other issue, I spoke to my ISP and they did tell me that some of their international routers sometimes throttle traffic to their ISP due to them being over subscribed? ..... now that would be all fine if I was only using their international routers ... but since I use their local routers then I cant see the validity of the excuses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.