iSpot + iPod Touch = cheap iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BDRhodes, Sep 11, 2010.

1. BDRhodes macrumors newbie

Hey everyone -- long-time reader, first time poster.

So, I've been thinking about how to use an iPod touch as my phone affordably. I realized I can use it with a Clearwire iSpot 4G MiFi and Skype for $28/month total -- a $60/month savings!

Has anyone tried this?

Any bad experiences with an iSpot?

Should I go with GoogleVoice or Skype? Is there a way to integrate them?

What apps are best for texting? Is it possible to text from either Skype or Google Voice?

If this works, I can't wait to FaceTime from wherever I want for 1/3rd the price of an iPhone! :)

2. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Google voice does NOT work with the ipod Touch. Everything installs, opens, but when you dial and press call there's a message that says: "Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid". That's because it is not an actual cellphone so it does not have a number, and NO it does not use your IP address instead. But funny enough, you can text using Google voice... go figure.

Skype does work but it does not support the camera.

For texting I use Text Free. I got my own number and it works beautifully.

I still have to use Fring, but so far, I have the same question in my head.

3. BDRhodes thread starter macrumors newbie

Bummer about it not working on iPT's. I wonder if the same problem would happen in an alternative browser like Atom...

4. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

Google Voice really just ties phones together. If you make a call on your computer, you don't conduct the call on your computer, it connects your phone to the person you're calling. With Skype it could work though.

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I have ispot 4g and it works for me because I use it as router for my iPhone, iPad and macs. I also use it on my pc. If you have decent coverage then I would recommend it.

6. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I've mentioned this in another thread so I'll be brief. When the ispot works it is pretty damn awesome. I use it in my office so the IT dept can't see what I'm up to. However, it frequently sends me to a clear homepage that says the ispot will only work for ipods etc. It is an easy fix, you just hard boot the ispot, but it is a slight pain in the butt. Other than that I would recommend it.

7. avilla86 macrumors newbie

I just wanted to say thank you for this brilliant idea! I was this close to getting virgin mobile's mifi 2200 router with unlimited 3G data for $40/mo to replace my prepaid cellphone.

With this option I get clearwire's iSpot with 4G data for $25/mo!

The true test will be to see how clearwire's coverage matches up against the sprint network in my part of California. I am interested to see if I can hold a conversation over skype while driving on the highway (on speakerphone of course).

8. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Are you saying that it uses the minutes I have on the cell phone provided them?

9. peestandingup macrumors regular

You're trying to make GV do something its not meant to do, which is be a standalone VoIP client.

I've made several calls (both outgoing & incoming) using my GV number on my Touch. All you need is a SIP server with its own number (I use Gizmo5, which Google now owns) & an app called iSIP. You forward your GV calls to your SIP number on the Google website, configure the app & you're in business.

Dont use the default web interface to dial from. Use the desktop version (its the only one that works for this).