iSquint makes video too dark?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by California King, Oct 8, 2007.

1. California King macrumors 65816

Left was encoded with iSquint and Right is encoded with Quicktime Pro. Anyone know why it looks so dark? I love iSquint because it's fast, but I don't really like the results. iSquint was encoded using high setting and Quicktime with default.

[​IMG]

2. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

maybe try coding it in iSquint with the "default" setting also.
    we cant really see the difference unless they are both using the same setting

also, Quicktime Pro can code movies into iPod format? thats awesome! if someone confirms this i will be getting a version for sure!

3. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

I've tried the highest setting as well which is "go crazy" or something like that and it's still dark. So my guess is that it'll still be as dark with default setting.

Yes, Quicktime Pro can encode movies. It's really simple too. Just go to file and click Export and choose your setting (iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, etc)

4. james6000 macrumors member

james6000

Just converted a film with visualhub using the "high" quality setting. Never noticed it but you are right. The video is noticeably darker after conversion.

[​IMG]

EDIT: image on left is after visualhub conversion. Image on right is before conversion

5. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

6. designclone macrumors newbie

how to fix

I believe it has to do with the H.264 encoding. Quicktime does it, if you turn it on in ISquint it will not make your movies dark. I had the same problem, it takes longer but you get smaller file sizes and better quality.

So give a sample a shot with H.264 turned on. I used to use QT pro but it keeps missyncing my audio, I haven't had this problem with ISquint, but Quicktime pro devliers awesome quality.

7. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

The sample was done with H.264 encoding. I am certain. Anyways, it's really no big deal for me. I'm going to continue using Quicktime Pro and FFMpegX.

8. sottil macrumors newbie

no way! i encode to h.264 with winmenc 0.7 on my pc, and the images are just as bright as the originals.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss