ISRC-code burning CD mismatch problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Profero, Aug 25, 2010.

  1. Profero macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2010
    #1
    I use a PowerPC G5 Dual 2Ghz 3GB SDRAM, OSX 10.5.8 Leopard with a Samsung TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222L disc burner.

    I burn a one-track music CD with Waveburner 1.5.2, and have defined an ISRC-code on the track. But checking afterwards a strange ISRC is displayed on this computer when I use the Terminal.app command "drutil subchannel". (Toast "Disc information" gives the same result.)

    Using the same procedure on a MacBook, however, (with OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard) the code shows up correctly, from the same CD, which should prove that the initial burning sequence was correct.

    Example: The correct input code is NO2M41001010—but the code that erroneously shows up on the PowerPC is strangely enough Co2M21001010. (Notice the correct "2M", the non-standard lower-case "o" and that the last seven digits are correct!)

    I have burned several CDs and tried different settings in Waveburner and the erroneous number is always repeated on the G5 (but always shows correctly on the MacBook)!

    So what's going on? I was told by the Apple representative that I should reinstall Logic Pro 8 (because I had installed the Snow Leopard more recently than Logic.
    That advice does not seem convincing. Why should Logic influence the Terminal.app? (And by the way a tedious procedure).

    Samsung support technicians say I must talk to Apple about about it—but Apple support has given me no clue so far.
    Any ideas?
     
  2. Giuly macrumors 68040

    Giuly

    #2
    Logic doesn't influence the Terminal.app, but Waveburner is part of Logic.
     
  3. Profero thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2010
    #3
    I finally found the solution (and so far so good)…
    So, for anyone who might experience a similar problem here's the clue:
    It actually seems that the "Samsung TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222L disc burner" needed a firmware upgrade from version "SB01" to "SB03" on my Mac.
    The somewhat tricky solution was to use a binary file upgrade for Windows called "SH-S222L_SB03.bin" that can be found inside the "SH-S222L_SB03.exe"-file (when expanded) at Samsung download page:
    http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp
    However the TSDNMAC.app must be used, and it is found here as a ZIP-file:
    http://www.samsungodd.com/KorLib/File/TSDNMAC.ZIP
    (On the same page - at present time - there is only one firmware upgrade for Mac — the SE-S084D_TS00.bin
    The trick, in my case at least, was to go to the Windows-exe-files and extract the corresponding "SH-S222L_SB03.bin"- file as mentioned above.

    Have a look here for a more detailed explanation:
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/jul10/070810.html

    Voila! The correct ISRC-code now shows up in the Terminal.app and also in the Toast.app…!!
    :D
     

Share This Page